Hybrid cheaper than electric? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hybrid cheaper than electric?

Interesting article

https://seekingalpha.com/article/416...e-gasoline-car
Sam12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cherry picked data.
Is not reality.

See this rebuttal.

Kind of like when there were misleading articles claiming that hybrid were worse for the environment than Humvees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

608-729-4082

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/188685...39&ref=m_notif

This is interesting too but equally off topic
rmay635703 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

I did the math of the gen1 insight vs a nissan leaf at my electric rates the insight wins
Old 04-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam12345 View Post
I did the math of the gen1 insight vs a nissan leaf at my electric rates the insight wins
Thatís why folks have solar,

One of my EVs uses 144wt/hr per mile off the wall, I wonder if it would still be more expensive in your area.

What are your per kw/hr rates?
Old 04-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

SeekingAlpha is not that reliable a source, even outside of the April 1st publishing window.
I don't think they were joking, but they might have chosen April Fools day to escape liability?
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I don't really give a crap about per mile fuel costs. According to the IRS, it costs $0.545/mile.

"The standard mileage rate for business is based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile."

Acquisition and maintenence costs tend to be significantly more than fuel cost for the more fuel efficient vehicles.

EV buyers are driven by technology and environmental interests far more then economical - especially when EV acquisition costs are higher. Those that are "frugal" are typically driven off by the high acquisition cost.

The article is a bit douchey, and heavily cherry-picked. The analysis of it illustrates that there are many factors involved.

Few people go to the effort to do an in-depth analysis of their vehicle purchase decision. Most just buy what they want based on features, budget, etc. They don't think of total cost of ownership (TCO).

Until we start talking about TCO over a defined time and mileage, these arguments are just mental masturbation about trivialities that only give a small part of the picture.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam12345 View Post
https://www.epelectric.com/files/htm...rvice_Rate.pdf

So doing a little math for you using the fact
my Insight is around 80mpg
My antique EV is around 144wthr/mi
And my volt uses
12kwhr to go 50+ miles lets do a comparison

Insight
$2.599 / 80 + 0.005 (oil & filter per mile) = $0.0374 per mile

Antique EV
10.39 (your per kwhr cost) * (144wthr/1000) = $0.015 per mile

Volt
12kwhr / 50 * $0.1039 = $0.025

There is a lot more maintenance I donít account for on the Insight that isnít required on the volt so Iím not sure how you come up with it being cheaper.

From a TOC standpoint you can buy a Volt for $5400 on up and obviously you could buy a $5400 Insight if you wanted to.

Letís see your numbers?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

So you electric car is almost 3 times more effic8ent than a leaf? What is it an electric scooter?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

A leaf is 300wh a mile

300 *0.0012 a watt hour where i live its 3.67 cents a mile at 58mpg for insight thats 2.13 a gallon to break even

Where i live gas just went up to 2.39 a gallon but its been in the 2.00 range for a long time

Also a used leaf is 5k plus 600 for the home charger

My insight is 1500 plus 300 for grid charger

And no worries about running out of charge or taking long trips

If i hypermile i can easily get 65 so then 2.38 is the break even a gallon price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in