Dinosaurs extinction....again? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dinosaurs extinction....again?

Dinosaurs extinction....again? GM to close 4 factories, may drop Hummer
Automaker to curtail truck, SUV production amid soaring fuel prices. I bet you couldn't see that coming

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24947044
170000 miles
63.2 lifetime
southern AZ
ibjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dinosaurs extinction....again?

Actually, no: I didn't see it coming. If anything, I expected them to do a Chrysler and offer fixed-price gas or something of the sort, and maybe increase their advertising budgets. That has, after all been their strategy for most of my lifetime: 1) Deny reality; 2) Spend lots of money trying to convince your customers to go along with your denial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
... GM to close 4 factories, may drop Hummer. Automaker to curtail truck, SUV production amid soaring fuel prices. I bet you couldn't see that coming ..."
Ohhhh Yes I did!

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

There are those who believe dinosaurs never went extinct but turned into birds. I'm thinking the Chevy Volt will be the first bird. Considering how GM is investing in China, I would guess that Chinese based EVs will be their second generation of bird. You can bet for every plant that closes in North America at least one is openning somewhere else. I look forward to seeing the Volt.

The laws of physics don't need changing, but rather our attitude and values. 72.8 LMPG
b1shmu63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1shmu63
You can bet for every plant that closes in North America at least one is opening somewhere else.
Kind of makes the idea of American / domestic car company a thing of the distant past.... most of the parts are already made outside the U.S.... by non-domestic workers... using non-domestic materials.... and there is lots of assembly done out side the U.S.... The companies are owned and controlled by stock holders who might be domestic or might not... In short... unless you have done the leg work to research and verify that a product such as a particular car is actually made in the U.S. Domestically and how much of it is made here... and how much was made non-domestically... you can not accurately just assume the "Domestic" car companies are any more Domestic than the "Foreign" car companies...

But that is just a global economy... good thing for the human species... to get past this archaic concept of countries and borders... Us vs Them kind of thinking does not help the Human Species as a whole... but until the human species socially evolves more... it will hurt local economies.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
  • On-Going Projects: Improved EV-Mode+ More Insight Solar+TEG +v2-Li-IMA
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

On the other hand, a lot of those "foreign" cars (including Honda & Toyota) were actually built in the US. And US automakers manage to produce & sell fairly fuel-efficient cars in Europe. It rather reminds me of the old story (Mark Twain, I think) about the man who started a rumor that they'd struck gold in Hell. Pretty soon everyone in town was headed off to the new diggings, and when he saw the exodus, he figured there must be something to the story, so he went too. Same with the US automakers: they started the story about how Americans don't want small, fuel-efficient cars, and spend billions on advertising to convince them. Now they've started believing their own advertising, and are following it off - if not to Hell, at least to impending bankruptcy.

|
|
Old 06-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1shmu63
You can bet for every plant that closes in North America at least one is opening somewhere else.
Kind of makes the idea of American / domestic car company a thing of the distant past.... most of the parts are already made outside the U.S.... by non-domestic workers... using non-domestic materials.... and there is lots of assembly done out side the U.S.... The companies are owned and controlled by stock holders who might be domestic or might not... In short... unless you have done the leg work to research and verify that a product such as a particular car is actually made in the U.S. Domestically and how much of it is made here... and how much was made non-domestically... you can not accurately just assume the "Domestic" car companies are any more Domestic than the "Foreign" car companies...

But that is just a global economy... good thing for the human species... to get past this archaic concept of countries and borders... Us vs Them kind of thinking does not help the Human Species as a whole... but until the human species socially evolves more... it will hurt local economies.
You and the New World Order may think that way. Hey, how are those secret Bilderberg meetings going, by the way?
Phanius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
...to get past this archaic concept of countries and borders... Us vs Them kind of thinking does not help...
Perhaps (taking the previous post as a case in point) the problem is not so much the fact of "Us vs Them" thinking, as it is a failure to properly categorize Us and Them. There are times when, looking at some of my fellow citizens, I quite frankly find myself wondering if we're even members of the same species...

|
|
Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeff
Automaker to curtail truck, SUV production amid soaring fuel prices.
It's a repeat of the 1970s: "Americans want large cars. Americans want large cars. Americans want large cars." Then when gas prices skyrocketed, and Americans went to small Japanese cars, the American companies REFUSED to change to smaller cars. Most of them would have disappeared if Reagan had not saved them with a 1980s government loan.

I wonder if Obama will step-in and save them again? I hope not.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." American manufacturers never learned their lesson from the 1970s, and we taxpayers should not bail them out a second time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan
It doesn't do the human species any good to help Communist China become the next dominant superpower either. It sets the cause for human liberty/freedom backwards, if 1 billion of its members are enslaved under a totalitarian government, and the other 5 billion are dependent on that gov't for their goods.
- and both rated 50+ mpg (old EPA test)
ElectricTroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in