Aptera Closer to Production - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aptera Closer to Production

Aptera is closer to production with a cash injection of 24 million from Google and idealab.
Good to see this latest news which will no doubt speed up the intro of production cars from Aptera.Their production plans for the type one pure EV version with 120 mile range is Dec and projected price is $27,000.
The plug in hybrid is planned for intro a year later.
They seem to be sensible in explaining the mpg figure for the hybrid by considering the increasing use of the ICE as the range extends.Most others have plucked the max figure to advertise without explaining the decrease in mpg as the ICE kicks in more often to keep the charge up.
From Their info....
As you drive further the battery energy is depleted and the engine is turned on with increasing frequency, which uses more and more fuel. The result is that on a 75 mile trip, the fuel economy of the Typ-1 PHEV is around 400 miles per gallon and on a trip of 120 miles, fuel economy is around 300 miles per gallon.

After 350-400 miles at highway speeds the fuel economy settles in at around 130 MPG, where it stays until it is charged up again. Aptera has chosen the 300 mpg/120 mile range number because they say that a 120 mile range covers the typical daily driving needs of 99% of the US population.

DGate
Dgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Aptera Closer to Production

IS on my short list for my next mode of personal transportation too.

Unfortunately, their being stick-in-the-mud's about selling out of their planned distribution area.

Even if you "sign-up" your $500 is cheerfully refunded on their next purge cycle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Insightful Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

What you need is a friend in California that would provide an address for you.
Looking at it another way at least they are being honest and reasonable,a lot of start ups would just take your money without any intention or ability to deliver.

DGate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Agreed on the way to order method Can do.

And agreed on their "refund" policy.

It's their sales poilcy I take exception to. And if your outside their distribution area, when you need parts...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Since I'm in CA, i'm in luck for a change!

It looks very cool! A cross between a motorcycle, a car and an airplane.

I think I would prefer the hybrid model as my driving often takes me on trips of 300 miles or more. I'd consider putting down a deposit, but think I'll wait for a few more specifics about the hybrid . Since it's not due out till sometime in 2010 ( ?) there's no need to be in a rush.
Patrickmilburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Insightful Trekker wrote......(And if your outside their distribution area, when you need parts)...

You wouldn't be buying a Chevy.....as an early adopter this is one of the things a person has to accept just as owners of antique and classic cars do.
If living near the main dealer had been my only requirement for choosing a car through the years I would have missed out owning many unusual cars.
I can see the logic of a new company staying local for its first deliveries,maybe its being over cautious but better to err on the side of caution and grow solidly than go all out nation wide and fail.
There would be increased logistical problems to contend with which a new company does not need,I think they are being sensible and this earns my trust more than a lot of hype that probably wouldn't produce results.

DGate
Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yup! that would be their reasoning.

But as an Apterra wanna-be, and living outside their planned distribution area "reason" is not part of the equation.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

[quote="Insightful Trekker"And if your outside their distribution area, when you need parts... [/quote]

I can't see it as much of a problem, considering that the few Insight parts I've needed have come from Majestic Honda, which IIRC is in Rhode Island. That's what FedEx is for

|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thats interesting we own an earth friendly car that has an unfriendly carbon footprint where parts are concerned,its laughable isn't it

DGate
Old 08-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
That's what FedEx is for
Yup

That would work, assuming that Aptera's narrowly focused business model would perform that function. I mean really, once you circumvent their limited distribution area the cat's out of the bag. (You really don't live os So Cal or bought with the fore knowledge that you wouldn't be there for long).

Ok so maybe they _have_ to ship you parts under some Federal fair trade law etc., but they don't have to do it promptly. Could become a real nightmare. Guess we won't really know until somebody tries...

Yes, I'd be willing, able, and _happy_ to assume all maintenance and repair functions. But I will also need to be able to depend on it as a primary mode of transportation. Wouldn't take much foot dragging by Aptera in shipping parts to force it to become a secondary mode of transportation.

Good thing Honda recently announced increased hybridization of their fleet, and the Insight's replacement. Opens up the choices a wee bit more. Buy a newer hybrid and electrify the old Insight or Civic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in