Aptera Closer to Roll Out. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aptera Closer to Roll Out.

See the link for the latest.........http://aptera.com:80/newsletter092508/

DGate
Dgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 04:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Aptera Closer to Roll Out.

Got my Typ-1h reserved, #2376. With some luck, maybe I'll take delivery by late 2010!!
Patrickmilburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Cake Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron Cake

Do they really think that will sell in any significant numbers? It's going to probably be another Twike...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5 Speed, "144VOLTS" Plates, BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Dashcam

Aaron Cake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Cake
Do they really think that will sell in any significant numbers? ... another Twike...
Sure hope you're wrong about that. I for one suspect that there is real potential for such vehicles; relatively inexpensive, long lasting, efficient, two seat transportation.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Do they really think that will sell in any significant numbers? It's going to probably be another Twike...
I love the Twike ... in 2008 they added a Li battery option... so the company is still working and selling... even if they are still hand building all the vehicles in low volume production , that you have to import to get in the U.S. ....

Although I also do like the Aptera... as a close number two behind the Twike... but if I had to choose between the two... I would still side with the Twike... The Aptera apeals to the same class of person that read about the Insight in Popular Mechanics and just had to have one... The Aptera is also less money than the Volt, while still getting better MPG, and still being a domestic car company.

Hopefully my Insight-I has a long time left in it as I also do greatly enjoy my Insight
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024)+FAS+OBDIC&C+HighwaterDashResetButtons+A C CompressorBypass+LiFePO4PHEV~2.5kwhIMA 1p48s +Auxiliary12v~1.6kwh LiFePO4 8p4s+BCM-Fooler+BCM-Interceptor+EVDisplay Meter +420w Solar 120Roof/105Hatch/85Dash/110Hood +RearGazShocks+KLR3CYL Springs F&B+Manual DC-DC +1.3kwAC Charger +LED Headlights +PTC Heat IMA Battery
  • On-Going Projects: Improved EV-Mode+ More Insight Solar+TEG +v2-Li-IMA
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

The Aptera is too weird to be anything but a curiosity.

One could argue that the Insight is the same, but the difference is that the Insight is a real car. I'd be very surprised if the Aptera sold 1500 units, let alone the 15,000 that the Insight did.

The again, just when I thought it couldn't happen, people surprise me. Just look at the success of the (absolutely usless, overpriced and ugly) Smart car.

2000 Insight:

Old 10-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The Aptera is too weird to be anything but a curiosity.
... look at the success of the (absolutely usless, overpriced and ugly) Smart car.
Not so sure you're right about that, at least I hope you're not.

As for that "Smart Car" a day or two ago I came across a webpage which offered half a dozen or so photos of some of the after-market "advanced styling" body designs, up grades or add-ons for the "Smart Car." That there are individuals out there who will pay for such nonsense (as I see and understand it), I'm sure there are but then for a moment, consider the stunning success of the original VW "Bug" a car which at first no one wanted, one which as I understand it, American auto dealerships were forced to accept or loose their franchises.

The world can be a funny place at times.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if the Aptera sold 1500 units, let alone the 15,000 that the Insight did
I don't know about that. The web site says that 3600 people have put down $500 deposits, and they won't even accept a deposit unless you have a California address.

As for the Smart being useless, ever spent any time in a European city? You can park two of them, maybe three, in the same space as one "normal" car.

|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Deposits are one thing, moving actual product is another. As I recall, Zap always had plenty of deposits, yet sold very little product. Of course Zap is a special case...

If people found the Insight too weird, then how could they like the Aptera? Maybe the Aptera is weird enough that the fact it's a curiosity is what will sell it. Honestly though I just can't see the average person driving around in one. For that matter, the average person doesn't like the SMART either....

Which brings us to the SMART. Ugly is subjective, I'll give people that. For me to say it's ugly is to voice a personal opinion (though an opinion that a lot of people share). I'm sure the SMART is a joy to park, but the issue for me is that it has almost no cargo capacity. The weekly groceries wouldn't even fit in one trip. It's very slow, and does not get the amazing gas mileage people think it does. Keep in mind I'm talking about the diesel fortwo model, which has been the only model available in Canada for the past few years. And the fact that it's diesel means that yes, it rattles and stinks. And for $18,000. $18,000?!

But here's the kicker...They sell like crazy over here. So if people are willing to buy an overpriced, ugly, slow and useless vehicle because it's the in thing to do, then maybe the Aptera has a chance in that sense. But it's so weird. I wouldn't buy it.

2000 Insight:

Old 10-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sure, maybe the average person wouldn't want to drive around in an Aptera, but there are quite a few non-average people in this world. Indeed, there are probably more non-average than average Indeed, one might reflect that building cars suited to the "average American" is why GM, Ford, and Chrysler are doing so well...

I just know that I'd buy an Aptera today, if I could.

|
|
james is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in