VW L1 concept = 170 mpg - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up VW L1 concept = 170 mpg

Still no mirrors...I think

Frankfurt 2009: Volkswagen L1 Concept, the "most fuel-efficient automobile in the world," gets 170 mpg — Autoblog

Support Halo Select Auto Parts

Text Brents Mom419-460-436 seven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kevin Dougherty; 09-14-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Kevin Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

actually I can see mirrors but they seem small.
02insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

I would have one of those tomorrow.

As I retire in 2014 I'll have to hope they are in production by then, and I'll buy myself my first ever brand new car and treat myself to one.

I'm sure there must be room in there for a few more lithium batteries. LOL!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Anyone think the VW looks like an Insight?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Anyone think the VW looks like an Insight?
Looks just like someone tossed together the prints from the EV1 and the Gen 1 Insight to me

When it comes down to the aerodynamic factors, there is no way of avoiding the 'we all look alike' factor. ...at least until we have electric cars and we don't need to have a chunk of space in the front used by an engine, then more cars will look like what Aptera has in its design bucket. IMHO
MN Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I continued reading this. The 0.8 liter diesel engine isn't likely to pass US emission standards due to the testing procedure for diesel engines here in the states. ...so unless they strap one super catalytic converter on the engine that has never been used before I have a feeling that it won't pass, but we can hope. We really need emissions reform for diesel engines so they can be rated the same way as gasoline passenger cars are rated, by mile, instead of emissions per gallon!!

This is a very interesting car, I'm sure we'll have all the 'auto experts' complaining over the 14.3 second 0-60 or the ~2.5 gallon(10 liter) gas tank, even though it gets 670km or 402 miles with that tank.

With the center seating, there wouldn't need to be a left-hand and right-hand drive, it could be one car internationally which would be a really cool change to current cars. I'd really like to see how the 'no-doors, climb through the roof' design works because it looks like quite a step up to get inside. Not workable for those who need to transport someone who uses a wheelchair from time to time, but then again it is a 2-seater with standard 2 seater limitations as well.

I'd love this car, although my head can't get around the lightweight carbon fiber/plastic body that wants me to remove the passenger seat and load that section with lithium cells and turn this into the maddest PHEV ever built, hopefully with the ability to run 100% electric on the highway. It says that the motor gives power throughout the drive range and can be disconnected from the gas engine, but I wonder if it can be disconnected and provide enough power for 55mph highway travel with 10kW. Then again I'm sure with the .8 liter in top gear with loads of electric it's probably going to be fed diesel by a figurative eye dropper anyway. We shall see what happens, worst case scenario, the diesel doesn't pass in the US and they don't implement a gas engine to bring it here, one could dream of importing one from overseas and adding the batteries for a full EV. If I can get still get a few hybrid packs of 250 5.5Ah high power NiMh cells for less than $500 I'd be game for that idea too.
MN Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Totally bummed out ... they are making a production run of 250 vehicles.

http://jalopnik.com/vw-will-build-25...brid-451011844

Support Halo Select Auto Parts

Text Brents Mom419-460-436 seven

Kevin Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Says an initial run of 250... seems to imply more could be made, but I bet it won't be much of a seller with all that carbon fiber $$$.

If they'd just make this exact car out of stamped steel it'd weigh a bit more but still get amazing mileage and sell like hotcakes.

Sam

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to gjenn12
Default 260 MPg

My Honda Insight is about worn out I want one
gjenn12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Since carbon fiber is labor intensive, I am not sure why they cant farm that out to a country with lower labor costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
Says an initial run of 250... seems to imply more could be made, but I bet it won't be much of a seller with all that carbon fiber $$$.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in