Some Great Videos about Electric Cars - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some Great Videos about Electric Cars

I saw these on Twitter recently and thought they were pretty good, both technical aspects, a little bit of driving, and some other exhibitors from the BPI Conference they had recently in Michigan in case you missed it:

Ford Focus Electric:
Ford Focus Electric Interview & Drive @ BPI Conference

AeroVironment Interview:
Exclusive Interview with Kristen Helsel, VP of EV Solutions, at AeroVironment

PWC Interview:
Who is PricewaterhouseCoopers and their role in the Electric Vehicle Industry?

AMP Electric Chevy Equinox:
AMP Electric Chevy Equinox Video Review w/ Steve Burns, CEO
AMP Electric Chevy Equinox Video Review w/ John Gatt, Director of Business Development

Governor of Michigan:
Michigan Governor Granholm Advocates Electric Vehicles

I'm excited to see what's released at the LA Auto Show, that's for sure. How about you guys?
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Good links, I'm going to have to take a closer look at the Ford Focus electric. I was underwhelmed when I saw it on display, mostly because it seemed too large and unaerodynamic to be a decent EV but maybe it just has a bigger battery but then again they say that the cost will have a similar premium as the current hybrids have. ...if that's the case than they would likely sell like hotcakes if the range is around what the Leaf provides. The $25k after incentives of the Leaf isn't too bad and in California there is an additional discount. Autoline said that the 20k waiting list is full now already for 2011. So if Ford can push this out it might be a great car.

What I'm very interested in at the LA Auto Show is Honda is going to be introducing its electric vehicle concept and plug-in hybrid platform. Here's the link from Honda on it
Honda Media Newsroom - Headlines - Honda to Debut All-New Electric Vehicle Concept at Los Angeles Auto Show
Old 11-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
Good links, I'm going to have to take a closer look at the Ford Focus electric. I was underwhelmed when I saw it on display, mostly because it seemed too large and unaerodynamic to be a decent EV but maybe it just has a bigger battery but then again they say that the cost will have a similar premium as the current hybrids have. ...if that's the case than they would likely sell like hotcakes if the range is around what the Leaf provides. The $25k after incentives of the Leaf isn't too bad and in California there is an additional discount. Autoline said that the 20k waiting list is full now already for 2011. So if Ford can push this out it might be a great car.
Well, it's going to be in the new body style and not the body style that's in the video, obviously, so it's definitely better looking.
Quote:

What I'm very interested in at the LA Auto Show is Honda is going to be introducing its electric vehicle concept and plug-in hybrid platform. Here's the link from Honda on it
Honda Media Newsroom - Headlines - Honda to Debut All-New Electric Vehicle Concept at Los Angeles Auto Show
No doubt, I'm definitely interested in the Honda's, as well. In fact, I'm pretty darn excited about all the new electric vehicles that are supposed to be released there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencr View Post
Well, it's going to be in the new body style and not the body style that's in the video, obviously, so it's definitely better looking.

No doubt, I'm definitely interested in the Honda's, as well. In fact, I'm pretty darn excited about all the new electric vehicles that are supposed to be released there.
I figured it would have to be different otherwise it won't be cheap or have decent performance and range. To me a better looking car is aerodynamic and function over form or form developing as function in a lightweight platform. I also love small cars.

If you can take pictures of the various cars and post them here that would be awesome, especially the new Honda stuff since nobody has seen anything electric or PHEV from them yet considering they have up to this point always seemed very anti with electric and plug-in hybrid cars.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, here's a quick video showing the newly designed Ford Focus:

YouTube - The Next-generation Ford Focus with a Walk-around from Jim Hughes
Old 11-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Everything is good except the Volt. GM continues to make unpractical cars, you could buy 2 honda Inisights for it's price AND it can go further on it's 9 gallon tank... (Honda insight 450 miles/300 miles rang volt) I don't even like the look of the car including it's boxy interior...
InsightRider101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Those are definitely good points...
Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I enjoyed them, as well.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
Good links, I'm going to have to take a closer look at the Ford Focus electric. I was underwhelmed when I saw it on display, mostly because it seemed too large and unaerodynamic to be a decent EV but maybe it just has a bigger battery but then again they say that the cost will have a similar premium as the current hybrids have. ...if that's the case than they would likely sell like hotcakes if the range is around what the Leaf provides. The $25k after incentives of the Leaf isn't too bad and in California there is an additional discount. Autoline hid bulb said that the 20k waiting list is full now already for 2011. So if Ford can push this out it might be a great car.

Do you really think they would sell? I mean I can be all for the electric cars but for some reason I can never grasp the exterior look of them. My friend actually has one and although he does save gas money and the "environment" it's probably one of the ugliest cars i've seen. I think these cars are more for those who are having cash/gas problems.
TheyCallMeH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeH View Post
Do you really think they would sell? I mean I can be all for the electric cars but for some reason I can never grasp the exterior look of them. My friend actually has one and although he does save gas money and the "environment" it's probably one of the ugliest cars i've seen. I think these cars are more for those who are having cash/gas problems.
I'll agree with you that there are some very ugly electric cars out there, mainly the Sebring Vanguard type stuff from the 70's. ...but take a look at Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles once and you will see how an electric car can look and perform. An electric car can look however you want it to look, in fact it opens up doors you didn't have before because an electric motor takes up much less space and you don't need giant hood space in the front for example. Dramatic changes can be made although they aren't always what people are used to.

Take any car that has decent with aerodynamics and not too heavy and you can turn it into an electric car if you don't like the looks of a production built electric. Don't worry though, nicer looking electric cars will come.

After doing a little research on peak oil, you might decide that electric cars are closer than you think with coming popularity. The Nissan Leaf already filled it's 20,000 it can make for MY2011 and Chevy Volt likely will sell out too.

Which electric car does your friend have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in