Check out the new Civic with lithium ion batteries! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Check out the new Civic with lithium ion batteries!

Also if you read this, look at the new lithium ion batteries that Honda is installing in the hybrid Civics! It looks like nearly all the new Civics will be receiving some form of "ECO-Assist" on them....

A possible battery swap for us Insighters?

Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - Honda Debuts Sleek and Sophisticated Concepts for All-New 2012 Civic Si Coupe and Civic Sedan Models

2004 Honda Civic Type-R!!! Yay England!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blue-Civic-Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I'd like a CNG PHEV.
MIMA#136P,GC1#47

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad Astra per Aspera
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

If they stick with the current civic design, thats 144 volts. It will only be backwards swappable for out First Gen owners. If they make it for the crz or 100 volts, then we have a shot.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
If they stick with the current civic design, thats 144 volts. It will only be backwards swappable for out First Gen owners. If they make it for the crz or 100 volts, then we have a shot.
I think up to now, the HCH had a 158V set-up. The electric motor outputs a little more, with 15Kw, than G1 or G2 (10Kw) Insight. If they keep the same set-up, it will not be possible to swap the battery direclty... well... I leave this to the battery experts in this forum, might be easier than I think...
Purplegate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegate View Post
I think up to now, the HCH had a 158V set-up. The electric motor outputs a little more, with 15Kw, than G1 or G2 (10Kw) Insight. If they keep the same set-up, it will not be possible to swap the battery direclty... well... I leave this to the battery experts in this forum, might be easier than I think...
Early news from a few years ago when Honda was discussing going with lithium, they explained the reason of going to lithium is that it costs less for them to do so. ...which seems the opposite of what you would expect, but its not. They can do it with a smaller battery because todays lithium can dish out power and be charged at much faster rates than our current NiMh cells can. They also don't have to deal with the rapid self-discharge issues of our cylindrical NiMh and might just last longer too if Honda designs their lithium system right and puts a decent quality lithium battery in the car.

The only reason why they have so much capacity with our current NiMh packs is to be able to draw about 100 amps or so from them. We have lithium that can push a burst rate of 100 amps and be 1/6 the capacity, possibly even better from certain companies, however would need 5Ah or so to regen at the same rate. They might cut down maximum regen rate to accommodate a smaller pack or produce a higher voltage pack of smaller cells with a better heat management system. If they put in a heat management system like the one LG Chem is putting in that the Chevy Volt, Ford Focus Electric, and Hyundai Sonata Hybrid are all getting, they could do some pretty crazy stuff without much thermal concern at all.

As far as a swap to one that is not normally designed for those packs, it is possible but will probably require removing the cells and installing them into a fresh design like Peter has done with the three packs he has built so far(two of which have performed very well so far).

I would probably be more inclined to retrofitting a larger capacity pack from one of these production electrics into my car and use MIMA rather than mess with a similar sized or smaller pack from Honda.

Last edited by MN Driver; 02-01-2011 at 09:43 PM.
MN Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegate View Post
That's correct, my 2006 HCH II is 158 V, topping out around 190V (max of 192v) now since the latest sw update, as measured at the IMA battery terminals.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

What about temperature regulation? If the next gen HCH has the same ineffective setup as the current HCH II, I'd be very wary given the LiON batteries are more temperature sensitive.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

158? Nominal? I saw a guys civic hybrid and the door sticker said 144.

Yeah, dont think having the pack vertical in the back seat is a good setup for cooling.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The 1st Gen Civic hybrid is 144, the 2nd Gen Civic Hybrid has the extra 12 cells to make it 158v.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Opps, my bad. Wonder how the extra "stick" helps with performance, fuel economy and longivity?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in