Electric Cars Are An Extraordinarily Bad Idea - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Electric Cars Are An Extraordinarily Bad Idea

I figured the title might get someones attention..

Anyways, I came across it at the top of the news headlines on google at some point earlier. Had a good laugh. Make sure you read the comments too.

I don't particularly have much interest in the Leaf because the I1 obviously works wonders for me and my intended uses.. but I know it's not the pointless vehicle that this writer is trying to make it out as.

Electric Cars Are An Extraordinarily Bad Idea - Forbes

The one comment about Californias annual fuel budget certainly made me think what the logic is with our transportation solutions on the home front.. just imagine if all that money stayed here!
element6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would have to agree with all that was said, now where is that CNG station
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default NGV/CNG Stations and Prices North America and Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitech View Post
I would have to agree with all that was said, now where is that CNG station
In Canada, use of compressed natural gas in vehicles has been going on for thirty years, and as well, you'll find there are quite a few stations in the US and Europe. There's seven "NGV" [natural gas vehicle] public stations in my city alone. Across the country there's 143 to date: British Columbia, 54; Alberta, 12; Saskatchewan 10; Ontario 68; and Quebec 2.
To get the big picture, here's the link to the map for the USA, Canada and Europe for all CNG stations and prices. There appears to be quite a big price spread depending on location.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\_(ツ)_/
\ /
/\
[/SIZE]

Last edited by AbCaRed00; 09-15-2011 at 10:49 AM.
AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with most of this but subsidies to promote electric cars help stimulate the development of electric battery technology that could lead (long term) to a competitive option over other energy sources. Yes it does not make financial sense but he fails to look at the long term implications.
Free market will only go so far to wean us off foreign energy sources as long as oil is relatively cheap Americans will continue to waste energy at unsustainable levels, 80% of that $ contributing to our deficit.
Personally I would like to see purpose built dual fuel vehicles Diesel/CNG Gasoline/CNG, we have the technology.
ghammerly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

The article brings up some good points, but I disagree with it's overall sentiment.

This is a new technology. If we abandoned all new technology just because it was fledgling, where would we be right now?

It's hard to see into the future. The electric car is a step in the right direction, and obviously it isn't going to be adopted overnight. By the time there are millions of electric vehicles on the road, these problems will be taken care of.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

I work in the EV industry and these articles are a dime a dozen. Media loves to feed on peoples fear of the known.

It gets annoying after awhile with the same ridiculous arguments against EVs. I have my own against gas vehicles. Articles like this are written like they just discovered gravity and this is a breakthrough discovery on EVs. Since when have batteries performed poorer in cold weather??? When has buying a any NEW car ever been a good financial decision that pays you back??? My co-worker has a Nissan Leaf and pays $0.4/kWh charging off peak and charging stations are FREE for now, talk about cheap transportation. As it turns out when you drive your car like you stole it, it doesn't get its EPA rated MPG either... Add snow and poor traction to the mix and it gets poor economy too. What bout driving downhill coasting? I bet you could get a 200mpg range driving from flagstaff to new mexico!!! EVs refuel just like your cell phone, how many of you have talk time anxiety? What if you do? Just opportunity charge at your desk or something, same thing with EV's. You dont have to go hunting for the cheapest fill station and go out of your way to fill it up in a few minutes twice a week. The gas station is EVERYWHERE instead. As far as range goes, you also dont drive these things until they are dead THEN sit around with your thumb up your *** until they are charged. Thats ridiculous and what this article implies. Would you rather have a full tank of gas every time you walk out to your car? Because thats more of what its like. If you do get stranded on the road, AAA already has quick charge boxes to drop off so you can charge back at level 2 for 30 mins and have enough power to get you 15 miles off the road to a safe recharge location.

But here is the truth to the whole ideological change in transportation. This is just the start of the tipping point. The technology will only get better and cheaper from this point out. People are scared of the unknown. But from the amount of Nissan Leafs/Volts I see driving around everyday in San Diego (5 a day or so), and how many people are use the charging station in front of my work. I know that the public is catching on to how awesome electric propulsion is, and they realize all the benefits associated with it. Seeing those vehicles on the road validates that what I'm working on everyday is the future, like it or not. My next vehicle purchase will be an EV if I don't convert my insight to one first. Faster than a corvette and orders of magnitude more efficient than a prius. I still have my other gas guzzler for recreation and the rare (very expensive) long road trips and towing.

Cliff Notes: Louis Woodhill is a douchy idiot.

Best Tank 70 mpg over 700 miles

Best Segment 95 mpg over 103 miles
2Slow4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbCaRed00 View Post
In Canada, use of compressed natural gas in vehicles has been going on for thirty years, and as well, you'll find there are quite a few stations in the US and Europe. There's seven "NGV" [natural gas vehicle] public stations in my city alone. Across the country there's 143 to date: British Columbia, 54; Alberta, 12; Saskatchewan 10; Ontario 68; and Quebec 2.
To get the big picture, here's the link to the map for the USA, Canada and Europe for all CNG stations and prices. There appears to be quite a big price spread depending on location.
Thanks for the info. Looks like some price gouging is starting already. Does anyone know what pressures are used in the CNG units? Could you use a home Compressor for refueling?
dougnearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbCaRed00 View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like some price gouging is starting already. Does anyone know what pressures are used in the CNG units? Could you use a home Compressor for refueling?
dougnearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnearn View Post
You're welcome. We're right next to the major refineries here so we get it close to the source. The last time I looked at it over a decade past, home compressors off the house line were a possibility, but would be much slower than the public station. Stored pressures in the CNG tank on a car or truck is are typically 3600psi in the large cylindrical tank with about a 200 km range for a v6 car. It's impractical for smaller vehicles given the available tank size and range as yet, leaving a good niche for electric vehicles, albeit perhaps with decided winter limitations.
Fuel cells may provide an interesting hybrid application of the two technologies.

\_(ツ)_/
\ /
/\
[/SIZE]
AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
The article brings up some good points, but I disagree with it's overall sentiment.

This is a new technology. If we abandoned all new technology just because it was fledgling, where would we be right now?

It's hard to see into the future. The electric car is a step in the right direction, and obviously it isn't going to be adopted overnight. By the time there are millions of electric vehicles on the road, these problems will be taken care of.
This is why I am thoroughly disgusted with the article. It's just your typical conservative diatribe. They don't beleive in progress... just low taxes.
If we wait for the free market to push Green Tech we'll have to wait for every last drop of oil to be drawn from every last reservoir on the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in