300 miles per gallon car in action - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 300 miles per gallon car in action

2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

This video makes me so sad

Sam

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
This video makes me so sad
Indeed. I always viewed the Aptera as my logical successor to the 1st gen Insight. I still view the VW XL1 (formerly called the 1 liter car) as a logical successor. But it will be far out of my price range. Oh well, the Aptera would have been very nice.

-Bryan

joeaax1j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankwalton View Post
Indeed. I always viewed the Aptera as my logical successor to the 1st gen Insight. I still view the VW XL1 (formerly called the 1 liter car) as a logical successor. But it will be far out of my price range. Oh well, the Aptera would have been very nice.

-Bryan
I'm betting with a tax credit, the cost for a basic model would be around the same cost as an Insight EX.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthonda View Post
I'm betting with a tax credit, the cost for a basic model would be around the same cost as an Insight EX.
Well, we can hope. VW hasn't yet named a price. The author of this article suspects the cost to be around 65,000 British pounds (or about $100,000 US dollars). It would then require a pretty hefty tax credit.

Volkswagen XL1 Test Drive - MPGs in the One Liter Car - Popular Mechanics

joeaax1j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

ROFLMAO!!! Looks like someone crossed the chrysler prowler with a geo metro and a giant stepped on the back half of it.

I rather have the yellow 3 wheeled vehicle that leans into the turns.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
ROFLMAO!!! Looks like someone crossed the chrysler prowler with a geo metro and a giant stepped on the back half of it.

I rather have the yellow 3 wheeled vehicle that leans into the turns.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
I would consider getting one if I got a really good deal on it. It's not THAT bad looking and reportedly gets 300 MPG! I bet it's a death trap in an accident though, A fender bender and it's totaled for sure.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Sad indeed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthonda View Post
I would consider getting one if I got a really good deal on it. It's not THAT bad looking and reportedly gets 300 MPG! I bet it's a death trap in an accident though, A fender bender and it's totaled for sure.
You do realize that Aptera went bankrupt... Right?

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post

Sad indeed....

You do realize that Aptera went bankrupt... Right?
Yeah, I looked into the car further and found out they went bankrupt a few months ago.

Aptera: Another Innovative Electric Car Company Goes Bankrupt | The Green Optimistic

It's a shame because I think they would have made it big if the feds gave them a helping hand. All the billions for GM and they couldn't spare 150 mil for Aptera. 90+ % of the car's components were to be made in the USA too. So much for creating US Jobs and reducing dependency on oil.......

Last edited by firsthonda; 01-18-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

It's a crying shame if they have gone to the wall. With a well designed composite "tub" as the monocoque there is no reason it couldn't be as safe, or safer than a regular vehicle.
Mark Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in