BP Predicts the Future of Cars (Hint: Yours Probably Isn't Part of It) - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default BP Predicts the Future of Cars (Hint: Yours Probably Isn't Part of It)

BP Predicts the Future of Cars (Hint: Yours Probably Isn't Part of It) - DailyFinance

Well, the G1 Insight might still be a part of it.

Still, an interesting read, coming from an oil company.

-Bryan

joeaax1j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

The sad part of that article are the comments at the end.

There's nothing written there that isn't total common sense/basic economics... but reading the comments is like drinking out of a public toilet.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

You drink out of a public toilets? I pee in public water fountains, is that the same?

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
The sad part of that article are the comments at the end.

There's nothing written there that isn't total common sense/basic economics... but reading the comments is like drinking out of a public toilet.

The "intelligence" of the general population is disturbing...

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think that the article is right on. The comments at the end did show that these were not hybrid drivers.

When I look toward vehicles of the future, I believe that we will see people move toward multiple vehicle driveways. Like in my case. I have the 2011 Toyota Prius for my daily commute but when I need to run to Home Depot, pull a trailer or haul a gaggle of nine-year-old girls, I use the 2003 Lincoln Navigator.

There is no doubt that there are certain tasks that can't be performed well by a small hybrid or EV but by the same token that monster SUV can't do a few things the hybrid/EV can do... Namely, save money.

My new use strategy for only using the Navigator locally or when needed resulted in my not filling it up since 1/9/2012.

Southern Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Cost of ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
..............My new use strategy for only using the Navigator locally or when needed resulted in my not filling it up since 1/9/2012.
Unfotunately, to make your strategy work economically, depreciation, maintenance costs, insurance costs, personal property taxes,etc., all need to be ignored. There is more expense to car ownership than just filling the tank.
Hugh-Falls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-Falls View Post
Unfotunately, to make your strategy work economically, depreciation, maintenance costs, insurance costs, personal property taxes,etc., all need to be ignored. There is more expense to car ownership than just filling the tank.
Like SouthernDad I too keep a 3rd vehicle in the garage / driveway. And I did run the numbers of depreciation, maintenance costs, insurance and license plates. I calculated and am currently WAY ahead. In my case I think the reason it works is because my truck is only worth 3k. My Insight is worth 6k. So all totaled I have less than 10k in vehicle assets, can pull a trailer, haul 5 people, go through deep snow and get an average of 55mpg over time (between the 2 vehicles). I feel like I'm stealing.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I cant wait for a true cross over vehicle that can get the mpg of a hybrid or push a button and be able to tow like an suv.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I need a larger vehicle for hauling, 4x4 for the bad winter days, but something that gets great mileage. I kept my 2002 chevy avalanche z-71 4x4 for the hauling/towing/ 5 people capacity, and have the insight for the commute miles every day. My 15 year old has his learners permit, so sometime in the next 6 months he will probably get his license, a part time very local job, and will take the truck unless I need it. About a year ago we had a bad snow storm and a major north south road about 2 miles west of us was shut down due to the snow. About 200 people got stuck and spent the night at a gas station about 5 miles from us. With all of the open farm fields around here they can plow a road and an hour later it is completely drifted over. Just Friday night a pickup took out a fence about a half mile south of us and required a wrecker to get him out of a horse pasture. About a quarter of a mile north of us a BMW was in the ditch. 4x4 is really nice. I have very aggressive tires on the truck, they even have the winter snowflake symbol on them. A foot of snow is nothing for the truck, actually makes the ride nicer and quieter. I think the insight is done in about 6 inches of snow, maybe less. My wife drives a Honda pilot all wheel drive. First winter with it. Last year a few times she could not make it up the driveway due to a snow storm in her Toyota sienna.

Last edited by Need4Speed; 03-04-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

For me, the Insight is my daily commuter, winter or summer.

There are probably 3 days out of the year that the Insight has trouble driving in, namely those winter storm days.

Last year I got stuck trying to go through a road that a truck had previously driven. I was prepared and had a show shovel with an extendible handle, and it took 45 minutes to get unstuck, but I did make out.

For me, owning a truck is a 1% proposition. I would use it only 3 days a year, and thus it's not worth it to me. If I really need to haul something, I just rent it instead. Really much cheaper for me, and I don't have to store it anywhere either. Very nice.

If I need to haul something larger than what fits into the Insight, then I borrow my wifes Honda Fit. It's amazing how much stuff you can fit back there. As mentioned, for even bigger stuff, I just rent a truck.

Jim.

Tail Extension:
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in