Ford C-Max Hybrid -- Wow - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ford C-Max Hybrid -- Wow

They really over-delivered on people were speculating.

About as much space as a Prius V, people speculated 41 mpg, but it's rated 47/47 mpg, 2.0L 188HP engine + 68KW(!) electric, lower base model price than the V (25k vs 26k)...

20 mile range plug in mode, 85 mph in electric, except for the craptastic MyFord thing, it seems amazing.

Ford has been impressing me lately... they've got a 1L 3-banger out now turboed that seems to be kicking butt in Europe now... Honda abandoned it, but Ford is now making bank with it. I hope they bring that one here too.

Sam

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yep, I read an article about that 3 cylinder engine. Sounds pretty good, they are targeting it for the Fiesta in late 2013 from what I read. To bad, planing on buying a Fiesta in Jan/Feb but engine won't be ready here in states then.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Guess I got one up on FORD GG!

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertguy View Post
Yep, I read an article about that 3 cylinder engine. Sounds pretty good, they are targeting it for the Fiesta in late 2013 from what I read. To bad, planing on buying a Fiesta in Jan/Feb but engine won't be ready here in states then.
If I had gobs of cash and mechanical fabrication skill, I'd target that 3 cylinder engine into my 1st Gen Insight to trial it's MPG. It's crazy how that 1 liter engine can outperform engines of twice it's displacement due to that turbo and have more torque than even many undersquare engines much larger than it, which is unusual for a turbo. The 1400rpm spec is amazing and oddly enough blows the Insight out of the water without requiring the electric assist.

The MPG, however was likely not the target as much as I wish it was. I think that engine was really produced to get the attention of magazine editors to say weird stuff like, 'look at this hamster chuck this huge boulder at this squirrel' sort of thing.

I think it would be a good engine match for someone a little larger than a 1st Gen Insight since the efficiency would be wherever the torque peak is at while under say 70-80% load while in whatever spec is needed to avoid pulling turbo power. ...which is a bit tough when the thing is designed to pull turbo at 1400rpm. The details are a bit hidden on how it's all done but I'm sure it could be very efficient but might require some special driving skill to harness the peak efficiency points, although I think it wouldn't be as hard as the Insight with battling holding lean-burn(or battling CVT RPM rise) during cruise and avoiding the plague(assist) on acceleration while maintaining minimum RPM to get max MPG.

Either way, can't wait to test drive one of these 1 liter Ford cars to figure out their tricks.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

20 mile range plug in mode, 85 mph in electric, 68kw electric.

If only I could find a way to migrate this drivetrain to the Insight but keep the Honda lean-burn engine. It would get well over 20 miles with a 1st Gen body, and then some more with light hypermiling. The components, battery, and engine wouldn't weigh what a Chevy Bolt weighs. Too bad that I'm certain none of this would manage to crawl under the Insight hood. ..but I can dream.

To be serious though, I'm very impressed with the C-Max Energi setup, nice vehicle size, seems very practical for most people, great gas mileage, an EV mode that's actually at a useful speed for most people. IMHO It's a plug-in hybrid done right and at a decent price.

I'm just going to stick my head in the sand about whatever this MyFord thing is, sounds like the disaster that CarWings apparently is on the Nissan Leaf but I've got my head in the sand about that too as I usually don't care much about the modern extras.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, the drivetrain would be an interesting transplant for an Insight, considering the HP output numbers and the fact that the C-Max weighs 3600lbs (almost exactly twice the Insight!). That would seriously HAUL.

Ford has been impressing me lately with some of their designs... frankly the C-Max makes the I2 look pretty bad, efficiency-wise (of course it still has the lowest purchase price advantage).

Sam

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in