Leaf lawsuit filed, battery life issues - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leaf lawsuit filed, battery life issues

Nissan responds to a new lawsuit filed on behalf of owners in CA and AZ. I was wondering when the heat issue on these batteries was going to rear its ugly head. AZ owners have been complaining for awhile now about degraded battery performance.
Nissan Responds To Class Action Suit Over LEAF Batteries, Range Claims
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Reece

Sorry to hear that, would like all the new models to succeed. The leaf started out fairly fast but has fallen off on sales volume however both have sold more cars than the 1st gen Insight did in 6 years. I think Chevy got it right with the Volt, the battery has its own climate control system. I also love the automatic collection of driving data via onstar at Volt Stats! Tracking real world usage of Chevy Volts in the wild... . Have fun, Rick
Rick 00 #4738 (5sp) Lmpg 91.1 @ 195K miles
Rick Reece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rick,

Great website on the Volt, thanks for sharing, I book marked it on my computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Shame IMHO that litigation continues to plague new developments and ideas

Perhaps could have been sorted with some warranty work and a recall to tweak the systems.

Anyway does demonstrate that people doing the PP50 Lithium conversion in the hotter climates need to be serious about their cooling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
.....Anyway does demonstrate that people doing the PP50 Lithium conversion in the hotter climates need to be serious about their cooling.
Peter,

I have to agree.

My battery pack dropped about 40% capacity after our hot summer in Wisconsin. Not knowing any better, I continued to run the battery down to/from work, and trickle charge at 300mA at night, with a 5 inch fan cooling the pack.

Just got the pack back together and the car running again last night, and will start cycling the battery again to see just how much better things are now that I replaced one stick with a better one. Another plus is the temps are much cooler now to boot!

I think JimE mentioned his capacity was down also, but I don't know if was due to higher temps this summer or not.

Jim.

Tail Extension:
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Interesting..... I read the contract with the purchase of my Honda and I guess since I am a new owner to that vehicle I cant sue according to the fine print. I have to go through arbritation. I also cant use the vehicle as part of a business, as a delivery vehicle and some other stuff.

Peter, what I find interesting of all is that each state of our country is different? For example, many consumer electronics have a label that says the device may contain parts or chemicals that are known to cause cancer in the state of California. So, its safe to use outside that state?

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cobb, I'm intrigued. Are you saying that to purchase your 2nd gen Insight, Honda made you sign something stating that you wouldn't use the car for business purposes?

-Bryan

joeaax1j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I think it was a basic contract, 8 1/2 wide 2 ft long front and back, several pages. I think the Toy dealer next door to the Honda dealer made me sign something similar when I purchased a vehicle from them some time ago.

I guess if I do it voids the warranty, fianncing, insurance, etc and basically they repo the car?

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm sure you can use it anyway you want but it may void your warranty if they find out.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

The United States is just like the European Union. Every member state has its own rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
Shame IMHO that litigation continues to plague new developments and ideas
Litigation would not be necessary if Nissan had an honorable sales staff that addressed customers concerns. They said, "20-30% loss is normal, then the losses will stop." Okay. So reassure that they have nothing to fear by warranting the battery will maintain at least 70% capacity for 100,000 (as was advertised).

On the other hand I'm not surprised that Nissan did not act. It is part of Japanese culture to protect one's honor, and not admit fault, as that would be dishonorable. I've seen it time and again where companies like the Fukushima plant, or Sony, or Honda, or Toyota, or Nissan refuse to admit anything is wrong even in the face of overwhelming failures in their products. Even at the end of WW2 they refused to surrender even as the U.S. was threatening to annihilate city-after-city with nukes. (The military tried to assassinate their own emperor.) They try to cover-up failures because the Japanese way is to "save face". I see Nissan is doing that now by saying there's nothing wrong with the Leaf.
70+ Prius G3

Last edited by theaveng; 10-19-2012 at 07:13 PM.
theaveng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in