pzev and non pzev - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 03:47 PM  
Wid

Default pzev and non pzev

I'm looking at 2012 Insight. What is the difference between PZEV and non-PZEV models. I've seen this differentiation a few places with no explanation. It appears that the "base" model is not PZEV. Is that right?
Are there any incentives available for either one?
Wid is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 PM  

Cars sold in California and other CARB-compliant states (most of the northeast) are sometimes rated as PZEV. That means it is a Super-Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (sulev) but with an extended 150,000 mile emissions warranty to comply with CARB requirements. If the catalyst, engine, or other component fails the emissions test, the manufacturer must replace it. In return the manufacturer gets 1/3rd credit towards California zero-emission (electric) vehicle quotas.

Cars sold in other states have the standard emissions warranty. I do not know what that is. Probably 80,000?

As for incentives, I think all the hybrid tax breaks were phased-out. It wasn't much anyway; around 200 dollars in 2011. BTW I think the new insight is a gorgeous car! I love the styling. I would be buying one if I didn't already have the Diesel Beetle and the 2-door insight (x2).
70+ Prius G3
theaveng is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 PM  
Wid

Thanks for the info.Can I assume that all Insights sold new in these states are PZEV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 PM  

No. Look at the window to see if it has a "PZEV" sticker. And even if it is present, then it might not have the 150,000 mile warranty. You need to look-up your state's specific laws for these cars.
70+ Prius G3
Old 10-19-2012, 11:19 PM  
Wid

Default Insights not so prominent on dealers listings

Thanks again. I'm also curious why when visiting many Honda dealers' websites, the Insight is not even in the list of models they have.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:57 AM  
Lifetime Member

"Vehicles Eligible for California PZEV Emission Warranty Coverage

California Partial Zero Emission Vehicles (PZEV) have extended coverage on all emission related parts. This extended warranty coverage applies if your vehicle is PZEV certified as indicated on the VECI(Vehicle Emissions Control Information) label and is registered in a state that has adopted and is enforcing California PZEV emissions warranty, which may include the following states, subject to change: California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island or Vermont."

That is from Ford's warranty site for the C-Max. The law is the same for any manufacturer but I don't know if Honda honors the PZEV warranty conditions if your car is registered outside of the CARB emission states so even if it is a PZEV car, you might not be covered by Honda because they legally are not required to cover you.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 PM  
Wid

Default Nowhere on sticker, but under hood

I finally found a Honda Insight at a dealer. They had one 2012 on the lot. Seems they're scarce. I looked meticulously all over the sticker and no mention of SULEV or PZEV. It's under the hood though. I'm still confused about some being listed as "non-PZEV" and "PZEV.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:18 PM  

Rare huh? Darn. I wanted to take one for a testdrive.

Non-PZEVs don't have the 150,000 mile emissions warranty. That's probably the only difference. (Though they might be tuned to run leaner & get higher MPGs on the highway..... but there's no way to know for sure.) A non-PZEV should have a rating of ULEV or SULEV marked somewhere.
70+ Prius G3
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 AM  

PZEV might have more emissions-related equipment on it (like an air pump for example). It has 6 less HP than the non-PZEV models (130 vs 136 HP). It should be just as reliable as other models. The repair costs should be the same for most things as well (PZEV has more expensive catalyst and a 150,000 air filter).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Alger3; 03-17-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Alger3 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM  

Default Scarcity of new Insights

I encountered this older thread today. Just as a point of interest, for those who might not know, apparently at the present time the scarcity of new Insights has lessened. Before buying my 2013 last month, I hadn't seen an Insight at my local Honda dealer ever. Granted, I hadn't been precisely looking for one, but the dealership is only a mile or so from my home, and since my wife buys a new CRV every two years like clockwork, we do cruise their lot quite often [get all our service there as well].

Today, doing a very quick internet search, I see at least 20 new Insights on dealer lots within 3 hours drive of me, 3 at one Columbus dealer and 5 [!] at a dealership in Erie PA. Marketing and consumer demand are strange and not always logical things: sometimes just seeing more of a certain vehicle on lots [and the highway] can inspire consumer purchasing confidence, and perhaps the new Insight styling will catch/has caught more attention. I really enjoy the styling, handling, and of course the whole "ambience" of hybrid economy in my new Insight, and sincerely hope that the vehicle grows in popularity.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in