elio car - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2014, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default elio car

So whats your take on this? Im sitting here looking at the screen thinking "should I reserve one? part of me says yes, you cant beat the price. The other part though says "what if all this is hype and nothing gets built". Now I know they have a "refundable" deposit but...if they up and decide to not make it and file bankrupt ect then have fun getting your money back
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
First insight to twist the camshaft
biododge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ya they are pretty cool, I hope they can make it, but I doubt it, once states start throwing safety laws on them and make them conform to passenger car standards they will probably die.
I would not put money down on one if you already have a gen 1 Insight. If they go into production, just wait it out and get a 2nd year one with all the bugs ironed out, in the meantime you will just have to hypermile to get that same mileage.
As long as they stay as motorcycle classification they have a good chance. The should just hit up Japan and grab reman engine and tranny combos for now and stuff them into their chassis, Japanese pretty much scrap their cars at 10 years of age due to the cost to keep an older vehicle there. There is an endless supply of 600cc engines with CVT trannies there they run in their small cars.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Ive seen eco vehicles come and go. Remember the Smart or Zap? The Smart once imported lost its mpg it had when it was in Europe. The Zap was considered a motorcycle and required that license and insurance in many states.

Or, it could fizzy out altogether and the CEO pays the top levels of management a bonus and locks the doors.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm very interested in seeing where it's going. Their manufacturing facility is over in Shreveport, Louisiana. It's not that far from me really. I heard the facility used to make the Hummer which I find hilarious.

It would be considered a motorcycle in most states. Here in Texas, it does mean that a class M would probably needed to be added to your license which requires a $200 weekend class. However, you can get cheaper insurance motorcycles here. The liability only policy for my Vespa is $75 a year and gets me a multi-policy discount.

If you put the maximum reserve down it's good for a $500 discount and if they actually start production in a month or two and produce as many as they think they will, you could maybe get the car before the end of the year. But yes, there a chance they could go bankrupt or that the car will be crap. At the minimum it's likely they'll have some production delays do to unforeseen issues. I've thought about it though; maybe if I hadn't just bought my Insight. I think they mentioned in one of there videos of possible hybrid and EV versions in the future. I could see the EV, but I don't think it's got the room for both systems.. maybe.
#1 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2014, got new old engine in 2016
#2 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2015, No A/C, lots of dents, works
Best tank: 69 MPG . . . Recent tank: 64 MPG, June 2016
johnnyviri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Another take

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyviri View Post
I'm very interested in seeing where it's going. Their manufacturing facility is over in Shreveport, Louisiana. It's not that far from me really. I heard the facility used to make the Hummer which I find hilarious.

It would be considered a motorcycle in most states. Here in Texas, it does mean that a class M would probably needed to be added to your license which requires a $200 weekend class. However, you can get cheaper insurance motorcycles here. The liability only policy for my Vespa is $75 a year and gets me a multi-policy discount.

If you put the maximum reserve down it's good for a $500 discount and if they actually start production in a month or two and produce as many as they think they will, you could maybe get the car before the end of the year. But yes, there a chance they could go bankrupt or that the car will be crap. At the minimum it's likely they'll have some production delays do to unforeseen issues. I've thought about it though; maybe if I hadn't just bought my Insight. I think they mentioned in one of there videos of possible hybrid and EV versions in the future. I could see the EV, but I don't think it's got the room for both systems.. maybe.
Love the concept and it's a cool-looking vehicle. What stops me from putting a deposit on one are 2 things. One, I'm getting 75 mpg plus in my 2003 Insight without trying hard. Two, I had the experience of putting a deposit on the late-lamented Corbin Sparrow some years back, waiting a year for production to start, getting my deposit back then watching from the sidelines as early Sparrow owners worked through bugs. I think the previous post suggesting to wait for Gen2 of the Elio is sound advice.

Ray
Old 08-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itripper View Post
Ya they are pretty cool, I hope they can make it, but I doubt it, once states start throwing safety laws on them and make them conform to passenger car standards they will probably die.
I have an "all-in" non-cancellable reservation and have been following Elio closely. Nobody anywhere has suggested that states would "throw safety laws on them" and make them conform to passenger car standards. Where did you get that?

Further, the Elio will already meet passenger car safety standards. They have asked NHTSA to test it to passenger vehicle standards! They are engineering it to achieve a five-star car safety rating.

Quote:
I would not put money down on one if you already have a gen 1 Insight. If they go into production, just wait it out and get a 2nd year one with all the bugs ironed out, in the meantime you will just have to hypermile to get that same mileage.
That's reasonable advice. I'm shopping for a used Insight to hold me over until Elio delivers. During the year+ wait, the Insight will likely pay for itself vs. my current inefficient commuter car. When (if) I get the Elio, I'll sell the Insight. If they never deliver, just another year of driving an Insight will save me what I spent on the Elio reservation.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Fuelish; 08-01-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Fuelish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Ive seen eco vehicles come and go. Remember the Smart or Zap? The Smart once imported lost its mpg it had when it was in Europe. The Zap was considered a motorcycle and required that license and insurance in many states.
The Smart was not intended to be an economy car. It was intended as a city car. That fact somehow got lost when it was brought to the US, probably because even though it's a city car it got better mileage than most American cars.

I can't speak to the Zap, but driving the Elio will not require a helmet in all but five states, and likely no states by the time it reaches the market. Most states do not require a motorcycle license for fully-enclosed, ride-inside three-wheelers.
http://www.eliomotors.com/wp-content...helmetlaws.pdf

I hope the Elio is still considered a motorcycle by the time it reaches the market as insurance and registration are cheaper than a car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Fuelish; 08-01-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Fuelish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thats good to know as I live in VA. I thought the 3 wheel front/rear driver passenger seating arrangement apex was kind of cool.

Wow, imagine driving your car while wearing a helmet?

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would also wait until I can walk into a dealership, or at least at gallery (as in Tesla), to pay for a car. Or I would want the assurance of verification that cars are rolling off the assembly line before I would jump in line.

But, WHY jump in line anyway? Are you just trying to help the startup at any cost? There are plenty investors to help them (people who are trying to make a buck), so I would not try to elbow them out of the line. I agree with most before me to just wait to see and drive the vehicle before committing.

@Cobb,and @ Fuelish, and OP: I think Smart is doing OK for a small company. The Smart ED sales is growing multifold each month! And it's the CHEAPEST and ONLY CONVERTIBLE EV in the US. That's something Lease one if you can live with the EV's limitations on 90% of your drives, and start saving money and HELP THE ENVIRONMENT at the same time on DAY ONE!!! Don't look at why it wouldn't work for you, figure out HOW you could make it work. (And you most likely CAN if you drive < 80 miles per day). Buy ANY electric car, and you are guaranteed to love it! Or I'll buy you a beer.

WATCH THIS AD!!! Smart ED vs. Mustang GT/Audi/Cayman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1iJJZfB7i0

Great Deal on Smart ED:
new electric cars. custom mini electric vehicles. smart USA

EVs are 1/3 of cost to operate than ICE competition:
eGallon and Electric Vehicle Sales: The Big Picture | Department of Energy

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post

Or, it could fizzy out altogether and the CEO pays the top levels of management a bonus and locks the doors.
That is my exact reason for concern. I was rather confident until I was going through the FB posts and noticed one saying they are STILL developing the motor among other things(was very recent post). It made me think well where did the MPG #s come from then? Thin air? Im not in dire need for one. My thinking is/was hey, its cheep, suits my commute well, and would let me side line the g1 for repairs when needed. I can wait it out though-I dont need a lemon lol.
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
First insight to twist the camshaft
biododge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in