my other car is a... - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default my other car is a...

...gas guzzler. A GMC Safari AWD, to haul stuff and to get me to work more safely when there's snow. I hate it, but we do need it, and at least it's only used <1000 miles a year.

Recently, DH & I have been talking about getting an RV, and recently have decided we could get a new hauler with more tow power. Anybody know anything about the Hemi hybrid? I felt very comfortable getting my first Insight in '05 because this forum was here, with so many knowledgeable folks. I don't see a similar forum for the hybrid trucks.

Throw me your 2 cents!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
silver03cvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

How heavy do you plan to tow? When you say rv I think 5th wheel or heavy bumper pull trailer.
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
First insight to twist the camshaft
biododge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Ideally under 5000 pounds. The hybrid 4WD trucks have lower tow capacity, but would still be around 6000 pounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

My wife's car is a Lexus RX400h AWD. It has a factory tow package rated for 3500#. Love that car! It's got a smooth V6 with Hybrid Synergy Drive. I chose it for its capability. Highlander is same drivetrain. Mid 20s for MPG or just under 20 MPG towing on highway keeping up with traffic.

It may be too weak for your needs, unless you get an ultralight aluminum camper or a pop up.

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

The RV (a travel trailer) we bought is 4800 lbs unloaded, so no SUV will pull it. I talked to Matt at Cincinnati Hybrid, and he recommended that we avoid the 2009 Dodge Durango/Chrysler Aspen hybrid, only because it was made only one year & parts are hard to come by (and my DH did fall in love with the Aspen). There appears to be no avid following for the hybrid trucks like there are for our beloved Insights, which I guess should surprise no one.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

go with a diesel truck and be done with it.

Truck
Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck View Post
go with a diesel truck and be done with it.

Truck
Has to be 4WD/AWD. Do you have a recommendation?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver03cvt View Post
Has to be 4WD/AWD. Do you have a recommendation?
I'm a Chevy guy myself. Any Chevy/GMC duramax will do you what you want. (My 86 and my 2001 have towed great, my 2001 tows a 36ft 14k gooseneck trailer all day without thinking). Don't be afraid of mileage on diesels as they run for a good long time when taken care of. A 90's model with the 6.5 TD will also probably do what you need as well and would be significantly cheaper. They are also much easier to work on.

Ford and Dodge also make good trucks but don't know as much about them except the cummins in a dodge is hard to beat if you can find a dodge that isn't rusted.

Truck

Last edited by Truck; 09-29-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

2003 Nissan Xterra 4x4, lifted and going to be lifted more. Terrible gas mileage (18-19 on a good day), but I love the vehicle. A lot of fun for trips.
Hwy395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Test-drove an 08 Yukon Hybrid today, and I won't lie: I liked it. IDK if I can squeak out the $25k for it, though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in