Wisconsin would join electric car tax trend - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wisconsin would join electric car tax trend

Quote:
Madison Wisconsin would join five other states that impose special fees on electric and hybrid vehicles if the proposed $50 annual charge put forward by the Department of Transportation becomes law.

The proposal must win approval in the Legislature and be signed by Gov. Scott Walker before becoming law. The new fee would take effect in 2016.

Steve Hiniker, executive director of the environmental group 1000 Friends of Wisconsin, said Monday that the fee would penalize people for doing the right thing by purchasing fuel-efficient vehicles.

The state DOT says that while the vehicles have a positive environmental impact, owners pay little if any motor fuel tax to help cover costs of road maintenance and operations.

Washington, Colorado, Nebraska, Virginia and North Carolina have fees for electric vehicles.
Anyone have strong opinions regarding this?
newscast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newscast View Post
Anyone have strong opinions regarding this?
A rational case can be made for either side of this argument, and I for one hope folks will remain rational on the issue.

It is true that the gasoline tax is used to support road construction and maintenance in most, possibly all states. So, when hybrid and electric owners cut back their tax, the financial support of roads is diminished. Obviously, on the other hand, the use of hybrid and electric vehicles reduces carbon emissions, and reduces U.S. dependance on foreign oil. Of course, hybrids and electrics are just part of the problem. Vehicles in general are getting better fuel economy, which in turn means less road money.

Virginia law on hybrids was repealed after public outcry. I'm not sure about the part affecting electrics. As a hybrid owner I grumbled some, and I wrote some protest letters, becoming a part of the reversal of the law. I now think I may have been wrong on that count. Our infrastructure continues to crumble, so the money was certainly needed.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Interesting discussion. Good points on both side as Jime points out.

My position is against assessing fees on hybrid or electric owners. I think states need to figure out how to draw on registration fees to support highway upkeep. A few thoughts on this:

- I bought my Insights primarily due to cost of commuting and cost of fuel. The fuel product is simply too expensive for me, but I don't have the choice of seeking out a lesser expensive product. I chose to drive a car that uses less of the product.

- My car and others like it are very light compared to the majority of vehicles on the road. I think my car does not contribute to the wear/damage of roadways that heavier vehicles do. eg: 40 ton tractor trailers and triaxles. This leads to point 3.

- Recognizing the continued deterioration of the highway systems, gotta have revenue for road upkeep and repair. I think this can be accomplished not only with fuel tax, but with registration fees (which are already in place) adjusted to size, weight, and number of axles on the vehicle (as is in place in PA and likely most if not all other states). Registration for tractor trailers is considerably more costly than for private autos. Same for pick-up trucks.

- I believe owners of vehicles that contribute the least damage to roads and environment should have the lesser of the fees. That's the beauty of our great nation: freedom of choice.

and that's my $2 worth of biased opinion.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 11-21-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm with ya Mountain driver. Unfortunately large shipping companies can get around high registration fees by registering their vehicles in other states. It's a complex issue, but simply taxing all hybrid owners is not the right solution in my opinion. We may as well start taxing pedestrians and cyclists while were at it.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

There have been recent discussions about mileage based taxes, not fuel based. Those will hit our pocket books more than a $50 per year charge, since most of us bought these due to long commutes.....
Old 11-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

For electric vehicles it makes sense. I know EV owners are willing to pay for the roads they use. So some fee makes sense. Although, whoever crafted this did not make it nearly high enough.

As for hybrids?
Singling out hybrids is odd. Why are they lumped in with EVs?
How about wording it so it is is cars over a specific mpg. Say 35mpg?

There are plenty of low-mpg hybrids.
And there are plenty of high-mpg non-hybrids.

The real question is what do want to do about it?

608-729-4082

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Can we march our cars around the Capitol Square in protest?
Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

News, N4S, Eric: Agreed with all. This is quite a 'spirited' topic in company of large pick up owners.

I know about the registering in other states, companies I have driven for do that. Tough issue, register in 'home' state of business, or state where most business is done ? (or state with lowest fee- most likely ) Standard rate would be good, but I really don't like federal control.

As for EV's, I think registration payment by weight/axels/ use is the answer.

CA proposed mileage based recently, vehemently shot down by the public.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
A rational case can be made for either side of this argument, and I for one hope folks will remain rational on the issue.

It is true that the gasoline tax is used to support road construction and maintenance in most, possibly all states. So, when hybrid and electric owners cut back their tax, the financial support of roads is diminished. Obviously, on the other hand, the use of hybrid and electric vehicles reduces carbon emissions, and reduces U.S. dependance on foreign oil. Of course, hybrids and electrics are just part of the problem. Vehicles in general are getting better fuel economy, which in turn means less road money.
Here most of the state "Gas tax" is not used for roads but goes into a disgressionary fund (unless they changed that, didn't check if it really got moved)

Next there are 1400 EVs and roughly 6000 hybrids in wisconsin. We lead the nation in 4wds but little else and are behind most states in policy and in the mindset by at least 20 years.

This issue has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY.

(humor me and multiply the above by $50 and tell me how much of our 47 billion dollars in debt it covers)

It is coming up because there is a rather large group of reactionary individuals in the state that would feel better if these owners were punished.

Given the poor penetration of these vehicles into wisconsin due to an attitude shared by most residents here creating this tax will make ownership LESS LIKELY and become an excuse, to me this is probably the real reason for the tax.

And in the case of my 1981 comutacar I will likely have to take it off the road because it increases the cost per mile by a factor of 10 (no I don't drive many miles)

If they want a gas tax for EVs it should relate to a percentage of the actual cost per kwhr of electricity they use like a gasser. Think for a moment, a gasser pays what? 5-10% tax an ev should be no different and already pays tax on electricity amoung a million other fees.

Piss poor thought process punishing those who do the least damage to the roads, are apart of the smallest group and use domesticly produced energy.

Far better to start taxing the farm tractors and local "sand" and logging trucks that pay little or no tax at all due to the loopholes for farm and local route vehicles.

Cheers
Ryan
rmay635703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Here most of the state "Gas tax" is not used for roads but goes into a disgressionary fund (unless they changed that, didn't check if it really got moved)

Next there are 1400 EVs and roughly 6000 hybrids in wisconsin. We lead the nation in 4wds but little else and are behind most states in policy and in the mindset by at least 20 years.

This issue has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY.

(humor me and multiply the above by $50 and tell me how much of our 47 billion dollars in debt it covers)

It is coming up because there is a rather large group of reactionary individuals in the state that would feel better if these owners were punished.

Given the poor penetration of these vehicles into wisconsin due to an attitude shared by most residents here creating this tax will make ownership LESS LIKELY and become an excuse, to me this is probably the real reason for the tax.

And in the case of my 1981 comutacar I will likely have to take it off the road because it increases the cost per mile by a factor of 10 (no I don't drive many miles)

If they want a gas tax for EVs it should relate to a percentage of the actual cost per kwhr of electricity they use like a gasser. Think for a moment, a gasser pays what? 5-10% tax an ev should be no different and already pays tax on electricity amoung a million other fees.

Piss poor thought process punishing those who do the least damage to the roads, are apart of the smallest group and use domesticly produced energy.

Far better to start taxing the farm tractors and local "sand" and logging trucks that pay little or no tax at all due to the loopholes for farm and local route vehicles.

Cheers
Ryan

This guy gets it!

Our government on all levels is corrupt as hell, our roads would be lined in silver if they actually spent all the gas taxes they bring in on roads and infrastructure.
desertracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in