Soon will have a GREAT help recovering wasted exhaust energy! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > General News Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Soon will have a GREAT help recovering wasted exhaust energy!

Audi will have in 2017 cars! There is a couple (at least) companies making electric turbochargers! Yes turbo's! The one is using a emectric motir to spin it up for no lag and ability to se larger (slower spooling) turbo but eleminate lag (like a SC)!
AND this is what is so exciting to me (and should be for other hybrid drivers!)

The electric motor is ALSO A GENERATOR! When not making the turbo spin, and is actually "idling" from exhaust gas passing through it, it can be "excited" to make electricity from exhaust gases passing through its turbine!

This of course, can be inverted into power at correct voltage and amperages for our IMA batteries!! SO at cruise, even it can generate some power from wasted gas movement and heat being wasted!! is now power for assist..and if enough, phev action, I'm sure some of our geniuses on here will supply what is needed to utilize thie power fully..maybe even a C&C type activation when going down hills, decelerating, etc. The potential for recature is really staggering amounts of energy! Aren't we at about only 40% efficiency using the gasolines potentials at present? (experts in this pls chime in here..

ANyway a game changer for sure, for me..I'm going to TCharge mine ASAP I get a good tuning solution I am confident/comfortable with and the needed parts, of course.

Interest in a Group Buy anyone? We have time, its going to be a year at least, I'm thinking & reading) before they are ready for sale...I'll try to see about being a "beta tester" and even as a group, IF enough interested people on here...

Mike , EQ, Peter, any of you guys see any issues that would make this unfeasable? potential problems? (besides turboing a factory NA car of course)!

WIllie, will it fit? The electric engine will make the turbo larger/longer. I haven't seen a pic/drawing of it yet, but the description described it well, and apparently its got an extended shaft with the electric motor clutched on the shaft so it can spin w/o drag when cruising and not needing or wanting drag on the turbine to restrict ex gases if power isn't desired at that time.

That feature, it seems, may not really be necessary, especially if using a larger battery and PHEV and or lots of assist and electricity. ALso depends on how bad the exhaust restriction is and how much it affects power output from gas burning.. Maybe have a non clutched one for small tight fitment (reduced complexity and cost also!
Link to what I found below:

Electric Turbochargers Forecast To Boom For Gas-Mileage Gains

Enjoy, everyone!
thillskier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Not trying to be a dick. I have no tolerance for claims of "game changing" technologies that are riddled with inconsistencies.

Based on my read of the article, this is a slight game modifier at best.

Conceptual flaws:

1) Driven by electricity. Where does this electricity come from? It's not free. It ultimately comes from the gas tank.

2) As evidenced by the very concept of turbo lag, and the pitiful exhaust force of 15 hp, I expect the energy available to generate electricity in normal cruise is VERY limited.

3) Does the added weight and complexity vs. the benefits actually result in a net positive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

There was a fellow in Fla. that was installing "electric turbos" a long while back. I believe it required an extra battery to operate the turbo because of the demanded electrical load on the engines normal battery. Haven't seen much about it since..

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Not trying to be a dick. I have no tolerance for claims of "game changing" technologies that are riddled with inconsistencies.

Based on my read of the article, this is a slight game modifier at best.

Conceptual flaws:

1) Driven by electricity. Where does this electricity come from? It's not free. It ultimately comes from the gas tank.

The Volvo car has 48 volts to drive the new turbo.

2) As evidenced by the very concept of turbo lag, and the pitiful exhaust force of 15 hp, I expect the energy available to generate electricity in normal cruise is VERY limited.

3) Does the added weight and complexity vs. the benefits actually result in a net positive?
I'm with you on this one.

Most turbos spin around 100,000 rpm. The electric motor probably needs step up gearing to do that. When run as a generator the gearing is going to cause a lot of efficiency loss when driving the [now] generator.

Here's the Volvo way of using the new turbocharger from: Volvo Bets Its Future on Small, Turbocharged Engines | WIRED

"We’ve seen plenty of twin-turbos before. Volvo’s innovation is adding a third—third!—turbo. But this one doesn’t charge the engine. It charges the other turbos. It’s electric, hence the name “e-booster,” and sends air into the two conventional turbos to improve their performance below 3,300 RPM, filling out the torque curve and eliminating that pesky lag problem.

It’s very clever, but it’s just the start. Volvo’s also created a 48-volt electrical system, instead of the conventional 12-volt, to drive that e-turbo. The beefier electric system also will allow the automaker to improve electric power steering systems and stop/start technology, but that big step forward will take five to 10 years to fully introduce. That’s why the three—three!—turbo engine is still a concept."

Fill in "performance below 3300 rpm", that doesn't sound like the blower is going to run all the time. A supercharger could do that without the complexity.

This idea isn't new. I once saw an old Studebaker Golden Hawk with a normal 12 volt squirrel cage blower stacked on top of the carburetor with bailing wire in a used car lot [just a concept]. I just looked at that thing and laughed.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Default No mor patience for Fools.

Or dick suckers.. Willie. Don't drool to me in posts, then act stupid from this ignorant idiot..
Old 11-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

F1 race cars do a form of this now.
The turbo generates power stores it and then spools up the turbo at low RPM. Also uses the turbo in conventional mode once up to RPM.
These F1 car are quite amazing hybirds.
secaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Default I,m an idiot..

Bad day x 5000.
NOT asking to excuse me.
I need to work this off..(disrespect)

The tech is for real, and yes was looked for trucking industry. (yrs ago). This, (generator enabled) is new (to me).
Why I posted.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Explain permalink #5. Directed to me?

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Based on his subject change, I expect it was me.

Sometimes just saying one is not trying to be a dick is insufficient.

If it was directed at me, I apologize for my delivery.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
Or dick suckers.. Willie. Don't drool to me in posts, then act stupid from this ignorant idiot..
Watch the language folks! Not going to put up with a bunch of bad language and flame wars. Some one is gonna get a suspension
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in