Another K swap - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another K swap

Hey Folks,

I've had my Insight for about 3-3.5 years at this point. It was my daily driver for the first 12-18 months. I averaged 72mpg over 16k miles. Not too bad. It was a fun car, but started throwing codes 78 and 59. I had just started a Factory Five Cobra build for my Dad, so I parked the Insight.

Anyways, I'm ready to "fix" the Insight. The K-swap appeals to me for a number of reasons - obviously the car will be faster, but it should also be more simple/reliable (I hope I didn't just jinx myself). I have a K-swapped Civic that I do track days in, so I'm familiar with most parts of the swap. I'd like to keep the Insight as a daily, so I'm planning on swapping in a K20A3 so I can keep it cheap, run on 87 octane, and hopefully still get over 45mpg. Over 50mpg would be great - I might try to find an Accord transmission with the longer gearing.

I'm looking for a wrecked EP3 Civic Si that I can steal most of the stuff I need from. I'd like to run the stock ECU (vs KPro), as well. If anybody has any other tips on how to keep this a budget build, let me know!

So far, my friend and I have stripped the back of the car. The motor will be coming out next.

Before

After

2000 Insight M/T, MIMA #174
jloehlein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Good luck with the project. I've got an EP3 as well but it's not wrecked. Why not go for broke and put the 200hp engine from an RSX TypeS. You'd get the six speed tranny with that engine as an added benefit. A little bit more expensive but 40 extra horses......HOLD ON!!!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Six speed, sure, but they're all very close together. If it were my car, I'd put whatever has the tallest cruising gear in.
Ecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Six speed, sure, but they're all very close together. If it were my car, I'd put whatever has the tallest cruising gear in.
This, for sure An Accord 5 speed should cruise at 3250rpm doing 75mph. My Civic is at 4000rpm doing 75 in 6th. I don't plan on getting rid of the Civic, so I don't need the Insight to be screaming fast. More than 67hp will be good though. I'll be happy with a 14 second car that gets 50mpg on regular gas.

Anyways, I found a donor on Craigslist today. I've got another project to wrap up over the next couple weekends, but I should be able to strip the donor and pull the motor from the Insight in early July.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Look for a base RSX trans (cheap and mounting is easier) then add a TSX .659. That will get you a fatter spread between 1-5 with a 6th overdrive. from there you can add a factory 4.0 final or for the ultimate 3.4 FD ($1200 made for the Mini Cooper VTEC crowd Custom Final Drive Gears)
BongoBennie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 04:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBennie View Post
Look for a base RSX trans (cheap and mounting is easier) then add a TSX .659. That will get you a fatter spread between 1-5 with a 6th overdrive. from there you can add a factory 4.0 final or for the ultimate 3.4 FD ($1200 made for the Mini Cooper VTEC crowd Custom Final Drive Gears)
Yeah - the 4.0 final drive in the base transmission might be easiest since I already have the trans in my donor. What cars did the 4.0 FD come in? I can't spend $1200 on a gear set
Old 06-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Interested to see how this turns out. I have a 97 JDM CRV B20B sitting around I have been tempted to try to put in my insight, just no time.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

4.0 comes out of a base style euro accord, cheaper to buy gear X aftermarket for 600+, you are better of in that case with the accord trans. With shorter stroke K20 that will be great but you might be making custom mounts for the accord trans.
BongoBennie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, I got tired of messing around with one of my other projects, so I decided to spend a few hours taking the Insight apart. I pulled the front end apart and removed all the stuff from the underside. The car is from upstate NY and a lot of the fasteners are rusty. I'll probably end up replacing the brake lines, as well. Thankfully, the rest of the car is clean - aluminum is nice.

Before:

After:

Should be ready to pull the axles and drivetrain out next.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

My own K swap endeavor will be starting in the near future as soon as a dead candidate is found. Plan is a K24 + trans from an Accord and will be budget minded so no $ gears or shiny parts for me. I'll be watching your build intently.

Mak

'97 Civic Hatch + D16Y5 swap [106hp to 700hp back to 115hp.]

'01 Insight 5-speed 114k [The civilized stocker.]

'01 Insight 5-speed 378k [Project Megatron: A bedeviled K24a2 swap]
Makitadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in