I modified the starter relay, IMA bypass - Page 3 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #21 (permalink)

I was able to follow the shorting of the starter relay. It took me a bit to understand what had to be shorted. Once I figured it out I used electrical tape to make sure it stays closed. I upload pictures showing the open contact (see red arrow), the closed contact and then taped up. Thanks to everyone who explained how to short the starter cut relay. My insight starts up right away without delay with no problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starter cut relay Open.jpg (64.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Starter cut relay Open (2).jpg (51.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Starter cut relay Closed.jpg (56.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Starter cut relay Closed Taped.jpg (47.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Danny2001; 02-04-2019 at 05:05 PM. Reason: image did not post
Danny2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Garage

Maybe I'm just not seeing it clearly because I haven't taken my relay out yet, but I'm a little confused what needs to be shorted where.

I'll take my relay out tomorrow if I have time to inspect it and see if it's clearer there what needs to be shorted out.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Maybe I'm just not seeing it clearly because I haven't taken my relay out yet, but I'm a little confused what needs to be shorted where.

I'll take my relay out tomorrow if I have time to inspect it and see if it's clearer there what needs to be shorted out.
The relays are 4-pin. When the two that power the coil get 12v, it closes the circuit to the other two. Until this happens, the backup starter cannot run.

I don't recommend it, but you could put a paperclip between the two pins for the starter and it would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default strtr rly pic

when doing this, decided to get a 'macro shot,' hope others can benefit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insgt str relay pic4 paint reduced.jpg (639.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by apollos68; 07-06-2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: had to correct pic desc
apollos68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Wait, why not just bypass the relay entirely? You can do this with a single 2" piece of wire with male spades crimped on either end. (Permanently) remove the relay and plug said wire into the connector.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudder View Post
Wait, why not just bypass the relay entirely? You can do this with a single 2" piece of wire with male spades crimped on either end. (Permanently) remove the relay and plug said wire into the connector.
I suggested this months ago.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudder View Post
I trust the relay to stay on and make a good connection for years as it has done more than a piece of wire would.

This is the method I choose and I am sticking to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

2000 Insight,

Last edited by tryingbe; 07-11-2019 at 07:48 PM.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
I trust the relay to stay on and make a good connection for years as it has done more than a piece of wires would.

This is the method I choose and I am sticking to it.
Sweet, sounds like you have a solution that works for you. I agree it will work; I was just suggesting an alternative option. Glad you found something that works.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in