Part Out or Sell? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Part Out or Sell?

I have a 2001 Insight with a M/T and 160,000 miles. It needs a lot of work; IMA battery, brakes, bodywork, and a number of other things. I am considering parting it out. Your thoughts? I would probably only get a few hundred dollars for it if I sold it. If I were to part it out, are parts in high demand? Would it be worth my time? Thanks!
RabbitCVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

A pillar moldings and rear fender skirts are $500 easy if in good shape. Doesn't sound like you would get more by selling it whole, but most people here prefer you sell complete to someone that will put it back on the road.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where are you located?

Nevermind. On mobile, it doesn't show up.

I swear, it seems that most insight owners are in DC, Wisconsin, or Cali....
Horn12007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Post pictures and we'll let you know if she's worth saving.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nope. ,sell it for 500 ,somebody come take it away,,I noticed by the time I strip it down ship it and pay fees from PayPal,it's really pain for a car that's not in good shape,,I still have ton of parts just collecting dust.
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitCVT View Post
I have a 2001 Insight with a M/T and 160,000 miles. It needs a lot of work; IMA battery, brakes, bodywork, and a number of other things. I am considering parting it out. Your thoughts? I would probably only get a few hundred dollars for it if I sold it. If I were to part it out, are parts in high demand? Would it be worth my time? Thanks!
If you have space to store it, then parting is ok, and probably a net gainer, but expect to have it a long time.

The clincher - do you have a way to get rid of the shell when it is picked clean??
Old 01-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

IMA battery - can be bypassed cheap, permanent or not. Or replace it - 160K miles is low for an Insight and a new battery could be justified by some people

Brakes - brake lines? Brake pads? Doable..

Bodywork - pics?

Number of other things - such as?

160K miles is quite low for an Insight; 200k+ is the norm it seems, unless it's a CVT, and many easily exceed 400k. Unless the damage is quite extensive I don't see why you couldn't just sell it, or fix it up and sell it for a decent price.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've been looking for a parts car for a while now and I'm in Wisconsin so I'd be pretty interested if you were selling it whole. As far as parting out it depends on condition. Good condition rims are very expensive but typical condition ones go for not very much. Seats can be worth a bit but I'd be willing to yank them out if you wanted to sell those, they're worthless to me.
hondarider90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondarider90 View Post
I've been looking for a parts car for a while now and I'm in Wisconsin so I'd be pretty interested if you were selling it whole. As far as parting out it depends on condition. Good condition rims are very expensive but typical condition ones go for not very much. Seats can be worth a bit but I'd be willing to yank them out if you wanted to sell those, they're worthless to me.
My fathers Insight is available, itís not really a parts car as the battery works but it needs the immobilizer fixed or removed.
rmay635703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've never had much success parting cars. Always way too much stuff left over. I can't stand to throw stuff away and I spend way too much time trying to find a buyer. I'll never do it again. But I do wish you were near me, because I'd love to have a parts car.
Red 2000 MT #1498 MIMA 137P; Matiz Springs, OBDIIC&C
Red 2000 MT #2560 Matiz Springs, OBDIIC&C
Genesis One Overnight Grid Charger
kennysmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in