Up to speed - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Up to speed

Ever the newby. I am trying to learn the ins and outs of proper IMA battery care and feeding. At present I have only a charger (Maxx Volts) I have a car thatís been sitting a few weeks. I have no discharge equipment yet. Will I help or hurt the battery by only charging it at this point. I have read all the hybrid automotive info as well as much of the threads here. Lots of info but I hate to admit not complete clarity on my part yet. I lack the electrical engineering background many of you have. I want to do the right thing. Should I just let the car sit till I can do the whole charge discharge thing three times over like hybrid automotive suggests?
EricTheWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

just charge it up, any overcharging will be converted into a little bit of heat. I wouldn't do a complete discharge unless you're experiencing a lot of battery issues.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheos View Post
just charge it up, any overcharging will be converted into a little bit of heat. I wouldn't do a complete discharge unless you're experiencing a lot of battery issues.
Good advice here. Charging and balancing alleviates issues for most folks.
1K100-PHM-010
37820-PHM-316
MaximumFuelage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Hot spots and contact points

Thanks for the just charge it advice. I have only driven the car about 1200 miles since I bought it. It has only lost and quickly regained two or three bars of charge while driving during that time. No codes.The car came with a charger harness installed but no charger. So I don’t know if the previous owner had recently charged the car just before I bought it to clear up issues or just for prudent maintainance. I will attempt to install the Maxx Volt harness this weeekend. None of the u tubes I have watched have clearly shown the contact points or wire colors . They are all shot from a stationary camera stuck to the hatch. I don’t see any insulating gloves on the hands of the guys doing the hookups. I don’t mean to be a wimp here. I’m good at wiring. I don’t mind a 120v AC shock on occasion. But I know DC is a different animal, and I have no experience with a large hi powered DC battery. Does the on off IMA battery switch kill power to all exposed metal contact surfaces in the areas where my hands will be working to install this harness? If one or more contact points remain hot, what and where are they. Is there a clear example of video, photography, or drawn diagram with good resolution I can go to to clarify my mental map of The IMA battery and the connections I have to make. Believe me I’ve looked for one and I haven’t seen it yet.

Last edited by EricTheWood; 01-18-2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: A mistake
Old 01-19-2019, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

There are plenty of instructions around for installing grid charger harnesses. If there is already a harness installed you can replace that one with the one you want to use.

The battery is safe as long as the main switch is turned off.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to you all. Sorry for being such a winge. I also saw someplace one of you mentioned waiting a few minutes for any remaining charge to drain from exposed circuitry. Iíll give it a go.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Itís charging

The charger install went well
Itís charging at this moment.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Great! I'm glad you went ahead and did it.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default No bars

I took the charger off. Final reading was 177 volts.
Let the battery rest for about 2 1/2 hours. Disconnected the negative side of the
12 volt battery for 60 seconds. Started the car. The charge bars on the left side of the battery display showed 4 bars. The total charge display at the far right is blank. No codes. ????
Old 01-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheWood View Post
I took the charger off. Final reading was 177 volts.
Let the battery rest for about 2 1/2 hours. Disconnected the negative side of the
12 volt battery for 60 seconds. Started the car. The charge bars on the left side of the battery display showed 4 bars. The total charge display at the far right is blank. No codes. ????
That sounds normal. After you do the reset, then you have to drive it around a bit, or let it idle for a while to get a recalibration of the battery SOC gauge.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in