A part most people don't replace that they really should - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2019, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A part most people don't replace that they really should

I finally did control arms on my car. I never got any real clunking or anything. The wear on my tires was even but accelerated in the front, probably 30k for fronts and the tires were pretty noisy which I thought was normal. My car has a little over 240k on it and when I pulled the cover off the rear bushing everything looked fine, some light surface checking at most is what I thought. I actually checked Rockauto's return policy because I was getting ready to return them.

I decided to take a closer look and dropped them down, still nothing too serious. Out of curiosity I stuck a normal sized screw driver in the hole and applied a little bit of torque. With just wrist pressure those "weather checks" opened up into the rubber being halfway torn through and the mount went all the way over until it contacted the body of the control arm. For reference Lou Forigno would have trouble getting them to that position when they're new. They basically shouldn't move much at all without extreme torque. My new ones probably went like 5 degrees or so with the amount of pressure it took to turn the old ones all the way over in their mount.

10 hours of hell later "yay salt" I took it out for a test drive. The first thing I noticed was the steering was incredibly sharp even with the snow tires on it, basically night and day, it actually felt sporty. Taking it out on the highway I noticed an unusual lack of noise. The old control arms were so bad they were affecting the toe on the car, accelerating wear albeit evenly and making the tires extremely loud. I could feel the suspension trying to articulate more. I still have the stock suspension with stock springs and the original stuts, so they don't do much but it felt like they were actually at least trying now.

I got the control arms for about 240 shipped and they'll probably pay for themselves over their service life in tire wear. You can align a car with bad rear control arm bushings that are just half torn through and it will show up as fine, when you put driving forces on them it won't hold that alignment though.
hondarider90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Appreciated. I have one fresh control arm on my driver's side from an accident a few years ago, but the passenger is presumably original. I've read before that replacing bushings can make a huge difference but have never seen much to back it up.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is great information. Thanks for providing a way to test them! Do you have a photo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

So what brand and where did u buy them?
Sam12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

What a pain to change.
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2019, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ecky,
I have a brand new in box passenger side one if you ever need it.
Dorman 522-516
Since you are a friend of Matt in VT, I'll give you a deal on it.
Let me know it you want it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

608-729-4082

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I did mine 3-4 years ago. IIRC they were $60 each. Pretty easy to install, maybe 2-3 hours but not working hard.
ADDvanced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 03:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

I wish I could have found them for 60, mine were like 115 each plus shipping it worked out to about 240
Old 01-24-2019, 03:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda hybrid442 View Post
What a pain to change.
They're not bad outside of the rust belt but yeah, inside the rust belt they don't come off with the axles in place. Nothing comes apart easy here. I was barely able to move after 10 hours of rolling around in temperatures that ranged from like 0 to -15
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow! -15* My threshold is about +50*!

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in