HID? LED? Dramatically improve your headlights today! - Page 4 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #31 (permalink)

ADDvanced,

Iíve edited your above post for language. This wonít be tolerated.

You seem to consider yourself some type of lighting expert. The original poster of this thread has asked you or anyone to post pictures of the cutoff pattern of your lights for comparison. If you canít do it or post a link to your pictures, please stay out of the thread.

Future posts from you with foul or derogatory language will not be tolerated.

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #32 (permalink)

Can anyone with any upgrades post pictures behind the headlight housing? This is also important along with beam pattern. Did anyone manage to add led bulbs without removing the rubber covers that go behind the headlight housing?
ARIKARA-88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #33 (permalink)

The Amazon links posted earlier no longer work, anyone have updated ones?
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #34 (permalink)
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIKARA-88 View Post
Can anyone with any upgrades post pictures behind the headlight housing? This is also important along with beam pattern. Did anyone manage to add led bulbs without removing the rubber covers that go behind the headlight housing?
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for, but pictures of my LED Projecter retrofit can be found in my thread here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIKARA-88 View Post
The rubber covers needed to be adapted to the bulbs I mentioned a couple of pages back. I simply took an Exactoģ knife and cut about 1/2" of the narrower center section away, plus I also cut a small line on the lowest part of the cover (between the two drainage tubes) so the wire would fit. The rubber covers nicely grasp the larger base of the bulb and the cut guides the wire out with no issue. I simply plugged the pigtail into the original wiring, and... VoilŠ, much better light in the darkness for me.

Disclaimer: I very very seldom drive my Insight in the rain anymore, although I am not the least bit concerned about moisture getting into the headlight housing the way it sits right now...
Old 04-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #36 (permalink)

Default Rubber Covers

Sam, RAINSUX, was kind enough to install the LED headlights in my Insight. He surmised the rubber covers would be unneeded. The LED manufacturer says these LED's work underwater. I do not know if they do work underwater but they work just fine without the rubber covers out here on the very, very rainy coast of Oregon. As always, YMMV.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Dog View Post
Thank you kalmar.

Interesting product, but I see some things that would give me cause for concern.

You would need to remove the glare shield from the Insight headlight. That's the thing that partially covers the bulb. To do it properly, i.e. reversibly, it would still be necessary to almost completely disassemble the headlights to get to the screw that holds the glare shield in place.

The sales pages for these bulbs seem to conveniently gloss over this detail.
That's a very good point, which I hadn't considered. So it's a full disassemble anyway, in which case putting in proper bi-LEDs with shroud would be the sensible way.

Still curious to know how well the mini-projector would work, but you're probably right about the thermal management or lack of it.

For what it's worth here is what the "H4 replacement" LED bulb looked like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2048.JPG (80.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by kalmar; 04-14-2019 at 06:15 PM.
kalmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in