Anyone know this grid charger? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone know this grid charger?

Ok, new here and new to insight. I sold my 03 civic hybrid 5 speed last month and have regretted it ever since so I figured this time, why not get the even better mpg insight.
Little back story, I never had a grid charger on my civic BUT I did driving easy on the battery(never let it peg the charge meter, etc..). Loved that car, wouldn't have I'm sure if the was the automatic though.
Ok. So my question, does anyone know who's (or this design) grid charger? How do I use it? I mean I obviously plug it in but does it discharge then charge on it's own? Also, I keep reading about checking the voltage, where do I check the voltage?
The guy I got it from said he put his sisters battery out of her 2010 in it? I thought they were different? Could that be why it seems to desert itself(calibrate? Sorry. Few drinks in, can't rremember the termaknowladgy, when it goes from low battery to full) a lot? Before I plugged it up last night, I had zero IMA. I charged it last night. Maybe 12 hours. I have now read charge u till it goes to 175v.
Sorry for the newb questions, not new to IMA but am very new to grid chargers, etc..

Side note, it amazes me how different the IMA seems to work in this vs the civic, I was assuming they were identical, not even close
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190127_175814_1548630731129.jpg (149.1 KB, 31 views)
Singlesupra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looks like a homemade version,but well designed,,somebody knew what they were doing,,,grid charge 24-28 hours straight,,if it tops out at 175 around 23 hours and doesn't move up anymore go 2 to 4 hours more and call it done. There a ton of varying discussions. Use the search box .
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda hybrid442 View Post
Looks like a homemade version,but well designed,,somebody knew what they were doing,,,grid charge 24-28 hours straight,,if it tops out at 175 around 23 hours and doesn't move up anymore go 2 to 4 hours more and call it done. There a ton of varying discussions. Use the search box .
I been searching forever lol. Where do I check the voltage? I can't even seem to find that information lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

You have to check at the ptc taps ,go to the search tab on top ,
Old 01-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Go to the box enter battery grid charge but not longer working,,post will come up s Keith is the second one on post ,there's a picture of the bcm connector and which wires to check ,,use the google custom search box,,it's your freind.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did you buy a G1 or a G2 or a G3.?
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda hybrid442 View Post
Go to the box enter battery grid charge but not longer working,,post will come up s Keith is the second one on post ,there's a picture of the bcm connector and which wires to check ,,use the google custom search box,,it's your freind.
I'll search that, thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
Did you buy a G1 or a G2 or a G3.?
I'm not sure? It's a 2000 5 speed insight?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

The crazy part is the insight got as good of mileage with NO IMA as my civic did with IMA working and I got way better than most civic hybrid owners did, mpg with my civic. I averaged 47mpg on my civic, yesterday driving home i averaged 56mpg with no IMA. My best on the civic was 61mpg to work but that was keeping a constant look and driving as fuel economic as possible
I think the gearing is different or something or maybe there isn't as much assist on the insight. The civic felt much peppier and would pull a hill in fifth with ease where the insight doesnt(but the civic had cruise, the insight doesnt). The insight being much lighter you would think the opposite. Fifth gear in the insight is LONG winded
Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have searched for the post honda_hybrid442 referenced but cant find it. I had the grid charger charging for around 28 hours and the IMA charge indicator was still at 3 bars. Not sure if thats normal or not though. Still cant figure out exactly where to monitor voltage. Maybe Im not good at searching??
Old 01-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlesupra View Post
I have searched for the post honda_hybrid442 referenced but cant find it. I had the grid charger charging for around 28 hours and the IMA charge indicator was still at 3 bars. Not sure if thats normal or not though. Still cant figure out exactly where to monitor voltage. Maybe Im not good at searching??
Are you talking about the charge indicator on the dash of the car? If so, that isn't accurate at all during grid charging. After the battery is left full after the last grid charge, the car will have to do a recalibration cycle before the gauge is accurate. For that drive the car for 5 minutes.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in