UK Immobiliser key programming - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default UK Immobiliser key programming

Good Day All

I have a 2002 gen 1 insight. Couple of weeks ago I lost one of the keys for it. I ordered a replacement from Honda.
Went there today to have it coded to the car as there is an immobiliser chip in the key and Honda said that they couldn't do it as the computer would not connect to the key. Possibly the new programme doesn't have the right system or something. Anyway they are going back to Honda technical.

Just thought that I would search on here for any threads on doing this and cant find one.

Does anybody know how to programme a new key with a chip without using a computer through the OBD port as Honda are trying to do?

Thanks for any advise.
Bob from Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

When I bought my third party chip key, the lock smith was able to clone my genuine Honda key's chip information to the third party chip key. The lock smith never even look at my car.

Some of us that install a different ECU just bypass the immobilizer completely.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...426-bucks.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight,

Last edited by tryingbe; 02-06-2019 at 10:47 AM.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

If someone buys your 505 their key will still work, just swap ECU under the carpet and you're ready to go?
NathanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

A locksmith with gadget will clone your remaining coded key so the ECU will think your two keys are the same and are authorised.

Honda are trying to add your new key to the coded key list in the ECU/IMOB memory.

Honda will/should also remove the lost key from the ECM, so if it turns up it doesn't work and someone can't steal the car with it. .

The locksmith won't be doing that, so you have a potential valid useable lost key somewhere.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Leeds View Post
Good Day All

I have a 2002 gen 1 insight. Couple of weeks ago I lost one of the keys for it. I ordered a replacement from Honda.
Went there today to have it coded to the car as there is an immobiliser chip in the key and Honda said that they couldn't do it as the computer would not connect to the key. Possibly the new programme doesn't have the right system or something. Anyway they are going back to Honda technical.

Just thought that I would search on here for any threads on doing this and cant find one.

Does anybody know how to programme a new key with a chip without using a computer through the OBD port as Honda are trying to do?

Thanks for any advise.
Was the key expensive? I can buy one online pre cut but requiring programing for 20 and am considering this as I have only one key for the car.
Peter is right however when I had my garage, I would reprogram both the old and new keys for Jags/Fords?range Rovers?Aston Martins to save them waking up and finding their car had gone! In my case my missing key is in Japan so not to much of a problem
Peterboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Many thanks all.

Honda came good and sorted out their issue and entered the key in the system. Thanks Peter, I confirmed that they had taken the old key off the registry so cant be used.

Fortunately the 147 is covered by a key insurance.

Now looking how to programme a new central locking fob.
Bob from Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
immobiliser, new key, programming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in