Wash wipe! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wash wipe!

Silly question time, I have a 2005 Japanese import Gen 1, when I wash the screen it doesnt wipe like most other cars I have owned. So is it broke? or is that the norm?

I dont want to try to fix something that isnt broke if you know what I mean, however if it is broke I would assume its either the switch or a relay
Peterboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Wash the screen? Do you mean when you pull the stalk and spray the windshield with washer fluid?

If so, yes, it doesn't automatically move the wipers after you do this, you have to turn them on yourself.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I've wondered about this too!

My yellow 2002 does automatically wipe after spraying.

Both my wife's 2000 and daughter's silver 2001 do not...

Hmm - I need to go look at the owner's manual!

2001 M/T 194K Silver, second daughter's car
2000 M/T 149K Red, wife's car
2010 EX 145K Metallic Gray, first daughter's car
tervic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I went out and verified that my 2002 Insight does indeed wipe during wash and for another swipe after the washer is released.

Then I pulled out the manual and discovered that it isn't supposed to!

I have a 2006 owner's manual that I grabbed from a junkyard car. Model year 2006 describes the wipers operating during wash.

Perhaps my signal stalk and controls were replaced in the past?

I'd guess sometime during the production run the wipe while washing feature was added, maybe all factory replacement units were updated to the newest spec?

Hopefully owners with 2003 and newer cars can chime in and let us figure out when the change was made.

2001 M/T 194K Silver, second daughter's car
2000 M/T 149K Red, wife's car
2010 EX 145K Metallic Gray, first daughter's car
tervic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well mine is a december 2005, so it doesnt much closer to end of production than that. I will have to take a look and see if any relays are missing, but as its all in Japanese its hard work to say the least
Old 02-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tervic View Post
I went out and verified that my 2002 Insight does indeed wipe during wash and for another swipe after the washer is released.

Then I pulled out the manual and discovered that it isn't supposed to!

I have a 2006 owner's manual that I grabbed from a junkyard car. Model year 2006 describes the wipers operating during wash.

Perhaps my signal stalk and controls were replaced in the past?

I'd guess sometime during the production run the wipe while washing feature was added, maybe all factory replacement units were updated to the newest spec?

Hopefully owners with 2003 and newer cars can chime in and let us figure out when the change was made.
Well it turns out mine is a 2006 model year according to Honda so it must have something wrong with it bugger!!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Huh.

My 2001 has always swept the windshield two or three times, immediately upon my pulling back on the stalk and spraying the glass. The rear wiper also operates immediately upon twisting the knob, but the "spray" is an embarrassing dribble (and that's from the factory, and it was designed that way)...
Old 02-17-2019, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
Huh.

My 2001 has always swept the windshield two or three times, immediately upon my pulling back on the stalk and spraying the glass. The rear wiper also operates immediately upon twisting the knob, but the "spray" is an embarrassing dribble (and that's from the factory, and it was designed that way)...
My 2005 also automatically wipes 2 or 3 times when it washes the windshield.

The rear nozzle on my car just shoots a thick stream of water (no spray at all) and wipes. I've been tempted to adjust the nozzle to wet tail gaters with it. But in S. Fla you would probably get shot at for doing that.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

02 Insight MT... mine wipes when I pull the stalk to activate the wash feature, and one more wipe after release.

New owner, so I don’t know whether the washer/wiper system or controls have been changed.

- Park
MparkH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Strange, never knew any version of the Insight had that feature. Guess you learn something new every day!

My 2000's wipers don't automatically activate when you spray the windshield or hatch.
Mario is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in