My daughter's 2000 Insight - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My daughter's 2000 Insight

So I purchased and installed a grid charger to address an IMA error on my daughter's gen1 Insight. I charged and discharged it a couple of times before driving it again. All was well for a couple weeks then she received a P1449, p1448,and even a P1576 at different times (I reset the codes in between each one).

So am I down to a battery rebuild or replacement? From what I can tell researching this site and others, getting these different codes indicates at least a bad, maybe leaking, cell.

Thoughts?
kdpearson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yep. Rebuild (bad idea) or replace.

Before you did the charging did you happen to write down the voltage readings for each of the 10 sets of Hybrid Battery sticks?

And what are the readings now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

608-729-4082

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

You should always try least damaging stage first,simple charge for 24-26 hours rest battery hour than reset 12 volt battery..
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbecky View Post
Yep. Rebuild (bad idea) or replace.

Before you did the charging did you happen to write down the voltage readings for each of the 10 sets of Hybrid Battery sticks?

And what are the readings now?
I did not measure individual sticks. If the car were mine and I was able to play with it I would probably break it down and look at individual sticks. As it stands my daughter needs the car so I just charged to ~165v then discharged to ~100v via a 40w bulb 2 times. Seemed to respond OK for 2 weeks then the P codes started and finally ended in another IMA.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda hybrid442 View Post
You should always try least damaging stage first,simple charge for 24-26 hours rest battery hour than reset 12 volt battery..
Thanks. That is my motto... start out simple and keep it simple. I did grid charge then discharge two times which got her back on the road for a couple weeks. Until the P codes started.

My daughter is interested in a little more reliability and a little less tinkering (although I enjoy tinkering) so we're probably gonna bite the bullet and get her a new battery. Fortunately I am pretty close to Portland Oregon and can visit one of this site's advertisers.

Last edited by kdpearson; 02-11-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

She can still drive the car with a bad battery by bypassing the IMA battery. If it is a manual transmission, then just use higher shift points. The car won't have as much power accelerating from stops. If it is a CVT, bypassing robs the car of all the performance.

If you seriously contemplate rebuilding the pack, not a course having a lot of promise, then click this link and look at post #2:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...ml#post1061778

By measuring the stick pairs, you can identify the two bad sticks. Make the measurements and post them here for an assessment by those with experience. Grid charge the battery, let it sit ovennight and make the measurements next morning. While you are looking at post #2, read the links in S Keith's post #2. He knows this battery stuff as well as anyone.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Measuring the voltage once you have the lid off literally takes 5 minutes time and can be done via the front connector at the BCM on top of the battery. Always good to get a baseline.

If you need reliability, buy a battery pack with NEW cells.

608-729-4082

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey Eric, it depends on which way you consider front

If you have the rear hatch open, then the connector is looking you in the eye, which I consider rear cause it is toward the back of the car. If you are standing at the back hatch looking forward, the BCM is the silvery module on the left top of the battery.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbecky View Post
Measuring the voltage once you have the lid off literally takes 5 minutes time and can be done via the front connector at the BCM on top of the battery. Always good to get a baseline.

If you need reliability, buy a battery pack with NEW cells.
Ya, I should have pulled voltages when I was installing the grid charger. I will grab voltages for reference (information is always good to have). I think when we get back from Australia we will bite the bullet and get her a new pack.

Thanks for the information guys!
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpearson View Post
I just charged to ~165v then discharged to ~100v via a 40w bulb 2 times. Seemed to respond OK for 2 weeks then the P codes started and finally ended in another IMA.
Maybe some deep discharges are in order. To 75 and 50 volts. Nothing to lose and might be surprised at the results.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in