recommendations for a shop - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default recommendations for a shop

g'day All,

. . . . bought an one owner 2001 w/65k couple years ago. Drove it on occasion. Then almost a year ago IMA light came on and just parked it. I know this is a very DYI place but at this time, i don't have the time nor desire to learn how to tackle the electrical system. Just want/need to get the car running. So, looking for any recommendations for a honest, reputable and fair shop in my area. Redwood City CA 94061. . . . .thx.
moss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Scott's your man!
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

. . . . Scott ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Scott Kulbeck at Jue Motors in Covina. Phone nine oh nine, six oh five, 3810, 9 to 5 only.

Scott is not only best in CA, he is best in the nation. Drive down, take the train home and leave it with him

He might resurrect your battery with grid charging. I just got one back for a friend here in Richmond.

Last edited by jime; 02-13-2019 at 10:46 PM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

. . . . a little reluctant to drive 380 miles to a shop, was thinking there might be someone here on the peninsula or at least in the SF Bay Area . . . . Will call him anyway, maybe he knows someone up here. thx.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

You might send a PM to Jeff652. I think he is in San Jose. He is the owner of HybridAutomotive, and designer of the Prolong Grid cycling equipment used to resurrect batteries. At one time he did a bit of work on the side. Don't know if he still does. Certainly a master with batteries.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
. . . . a little reluctant to drive 380 miles to a shop, was thinking there might be someone here on the peninsula or at least in the SF Bay Area . . . . Will call him anyway, maybe he knows someone up here. thx.
I live in Astoria, OR, the extreme NW corner of Oregon. I made the drive. It was worth it. And I say that with an excellent mechanic here in town. And I have gone to the local guy for over ten years. He's good. He diagnosed a blocked radiator which many folks told me was air in the cooling system. Good thiing I lilstened to him.

But figure out what all your problems are, e-mail Scott to set up a date, drive down. There are places to stay close by. I stay at the Motel 6 because I have a dog. I do not regret the drive down and back. For example: I diagnosed the car as having a cjattering clutch that needed to be replaced. Scott found it to be two motor mounts. If he were dishonest he could have sold me the clutch, not needed, and the motor mounts, needed. His shop is immaculate, he and Jimmy Jue, the honcho, are great guys, as are the other guys and they are thorough-going professionals. Small stuff, yeah, do it local. When I llived in Palo Alto I had a great mechanic in RC. But he's on the Big Island now.

The dealers have a reputation for not knowing this car. Independents are about the same or worse. Scott is 100%. Or you can make a gamble on a local guy who is a good mechanic but does not know Insights. Scott has videos on YouTube: KLR3CYL.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2019, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

. . . . been doing some reading/research and did came up/onto the Prolong Grid/Hybrid Automotive site. Lots of good info there which was congruent with what i found/learned in my initial search (before i put my head in the sand). Did occur to me try and ask them as well. Looked at their recommended dealers to install the units, i came upon Struken Auto in San Jose. On their site they have pretty detailed explanations about the various ways of approaching battery issues. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with them?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
. . . . Scott ?
Sorry about the delay in responding! Looks like someone else answered the question for you.

Quote:
People have driven further to have Scott work on their Insight(s).
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Scott is your man... almost certainly the best G1 mechanic on earth (unless someone else is hiding under a rock somewhere we've never seen).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in