Better feel at the wheel - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Better feel at the wheel

Time to make my ride mine. Carve a new manual shift knob and install a leather wheel cover. So first some questions.
The shift lever supposedly unscrews. Counter clock Iím guessing. Mines pretty tight. Can anything be harmed by applying the force needed to break it loose?
Are there some good after market leather covers that fit g1 steering wheels that any one would recommend.
EricTheWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371812962820

Make sure you measure your steering wheel's diameter first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight,
tryingbe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

I bought this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123490904454?ul_noapp=true

I haven't stitched it together, but it fits the wheel well and will look a lot better than a universal one.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I didn't know you could sew Sam. Did the misses teach you?
(MED time)

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nope. I have no idea how to do it. There's a Youtube video which I'll watch about 12 times before I start.

Sam
MIMA #150
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
Alpine Stereo
GAZ rear shocks
Old 02-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
Nope. I have no idea how to do it. There's a Youtube video which I'll watch about 12 times before I start.

Sam
I stitched up one of those covers on my steering wheel. I'm not sure how your cover goes on because my kit didn't have any adhesive and came with two needles and two long hanks of twine. My cover is faux "leather".

I also looked on youtube and there are several different stitches you can choose from.

I saw one video posted by a woman that does it for a living and she said she can stitch up a wheel in less than two hours.

Sounded simple enough (except it took me NINE hours to do it)!! And you can't drive the car with two loooong pieces of twine, two needles and the unfinished part of the cover hanging from your wheel while you are completing the job.

So choose the stitch you like carefully because you will be doing it for quite awhile.

The hardest part of the job is when you get to the spokes because the distance across the visible part of the spoke is different than around the back of the spoke. I managed to stretch the back and double up two of the front holes with fake stitching around the visible and back side of the cover at the spokes.

The finished product looks good and feels much better than the sun damaged part of the actual wheel.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips!

Sam
MIMA #150
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
Alpine Stereo
GAZ rear shocks
Old 02-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Never had luck with wheel covers, always pulled them off after a while. My preference would be to buy an S2000 or RSX Type S steering wheel, which is identical to the Insight wheel except leather, and have cruise control wiring.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Just get a S2000 wheel. I have one, it makes a huge difference.

Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I finished the shift lever. JuliŠn Edgar talked about the advantages of a heavier shifter. I looked around my shop for something heavy to make it out of. Found a piece of desert iron wood that has kicked around my shop for thirty years. Roughed it out. Drilled it to match the original less an allowance for threads.bought a 120mm long 10mm coarse thread bolt, filed six angled notches in it to make a tap. Cut the threads. And slowly shaped it with saws and files till it fit my hand while maintaining as much mass as possible. It ended up at 12 oz.
Three times the stock grip. The shift has an effortless positive feel and way more class than the original. Plus the fun of a few hours of putter time in my shop. Now I’m waiting for the leather wheel cover. Meanwhile I’m looking for some buffalo leather so I can use the $8 cover as a template for the buffalo. Any one out there know where to buy a piece of buffalo leather?
Found some.

Last edited by EricTheWood; 02-23-2019 at 08:17 PM.
EricTheWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in