Newbie query: Engine stop at all full stops? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Newbie query: Engine stop at all full stops?

My grandson about a month ago picked up a first generation Insight.... he's debating keeping it (likes it, but has to sell either it or a 2007 Prius he has because he needs the cash.)

It's got 235,000 miles and as far as I can tell, although in need of some TLC, particularly maybe on interior cosmetics, is far from being a basket case.

Here's the question I refer to in the subject line:
As I imagine (being only distantly familiar with the Insight) the internal combustion engine should shut down pretty much anytime the car is at a complete stop. His does sometimes and other times idles.
Is that normal or does it suggest something not quite right?
Or is this one of those "that depends" sort of answers?

One other techi question: It's idling at about 1500 RPM.
That should be lower? Right?
If so, causes? Vacuum leak? Or what else?

Alex

Alex
P.S., I did put a link to his Craigslist ad in Portland Oregon into the Classified ads here.
Inquirer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Engine only shuts off if the HVAC is off completely.
ADDvanced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply.
You wrote "Engine only shuts off if the HVAC is off completely."

I'm sure he didn't have the AC on. It's remotely possible he had the heater on.
(I assume having the heater on would also have the same effect? Right?)

I'll check with him, but for the moment assume he had neither heater nor AC on, and at some of his stoplight stops the gas-engine didn't shutdown?
Would THAT be unusual enough to take notice and ponder? Should it shut off all the time at full stops if neither heater nor AC is on?

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
Engine only shuts off if the HVAC is off completely.
This is false.

If the HVAC system is in ECON mode, the car will still autostop. There are a variety of conditions that need to be met before the engine will auto stop.

Here are some of things that can prevent autostop:
HVAC on, but not in ECON mode.
Outside air temperature too cold, or the sensor is unplugged.
Engine coolant temperature too low
High voltage battery state of charge too low.
Throttle position sensor reading above ~10%
Transmission is in first gear or reverse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Dog View Post
This is false.

If the HVAC system is in ECON mode, the car will still autostop. There are a variety of conditions that need to be met before the engine will auto stop.

Here are some of things that can prevent autostop:
HVAC on, but not in ECON mode.
Outside air temperature too cold, or the sensor is unplugged.
Engine coolant temperature too low
High voltage battery state of charge too low.
Throttle position sensor reading above ~10%
Transmission is in first gear or reverse.
This is true. Also in full AUTO mode, your Insight will not enter auto-stop.

I have kept my Insight's a/c in ECON mode, fan on "2" and 72f year-round since I bought the car in 2001 (unless my windows are down on the approx. two weeks a year we have temperate weather in North Texas), and only turn the a/c off in cold weather (when I only need the heat). One trick you can use to over-ride the prevention of auto-stop in cold weather (under 45f or so): As you decelerate to come to a stop, just turn the system OFF by pushing the OFF button. Once the engine auto-stops, simply press the a/c button twice (cycles to ECON and a/c OFF), and the fan button twice: You'll have warm air circulating long enough to keep your cabin warm until the light turns green or the traffic ahead starts to move. I've done this so often over the last 18 years, it's become habitual to me during the winter months...
Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well,
Turns out that he DID have the heater turned on at the times his Insight's ICE motor wasn't shutting down during full stops.
Now that he knows that's a factor, we'll see it behaves as expected.
Thanks for the detailed info!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I own 3 Gen2 Priuses (04-09), one Gen1 Prius (03), and two G1 Insights (02 & 05).

Sell the Insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi S.

Truth is he's short of cash and will probably sell the one that sells first.
And the 2007 Prius he has is a bit on the rough side.

But as an owner of both Priuses and Insights, curious if you care to elaborate a bit on why you'd tell him "Sell the Insight?"

Alex
Old 02-25-2019, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I'm operating under the assumption that he prefers to retain a reliable car with more repair resources and options available.

The Insight is an enthusiast's car where someone has either time to tinker or money or both. The Prius is for someone what wants reliable transportation with minimal effort.

We love our insights, but we drive our Priuses.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquirer View Post
Well,

Turns out that he DID have the heater turned on at the times his Insight's ICE motor wasn't shutting down during full stops.

Now that he knows that's a factor, we'll see it behaves as expected.

Thanks for the detailed info!

I don't think the heater running prevents auto stop.

However, if ambient outdoor temp is below the cutoff, there's no auto stop. If I recall, that's 41F. If he's running the heater, it's probably below 41 outside. The requirements for auto stop are in the owner's manual.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in