What does the 1G shell weigh? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What does the 1G shell weigh?

Stripping a 1G down to the shell.... Doors, hatch, suspension...... every last bolt will be removed. Only thing left will be paint, some sound dampener, windshield, and rear quarter windows..... what can I expect it to weight? How many guys do I need to carry it away?
BongoBennie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mike Dabrowski did the same to one of his cars last year. I think he had three people. The disappointing thing was the aluminum at the scrap yard was only worth less than $200. If I remember correctly. In other words for all the work it's not worth what you get for it. I think two people my size could handle it OK or just one person.
NathanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Shell

I think Mike aid it was 300 lbs. He rolled it across his yard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

It grieves me to know the body is being sold for scrap. Is it not useable?
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Its useable (salvage title) but Im stripping brake line and all suspension, steering and most interior. I'll leave the doors and hatch on and you can have it after that. I was thinking of cutting it down to a flat pan for a jig. You can have the blown engine and 5 speed as well. bring me a rear axle and I'll leave it on too.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default What color

What color is it and where are you located?
bvad8486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Its red, hood and front are in less than perfect condition and mirror is broken but the shell itself is straight. Keep in mind Im taking entire dash, steering column and steering rack, car will need to be carried away. Since my life would be easier I'll throw in the wheel spats if someone does come and get it. WOuld be about end of march when I'll be ready to send it by then.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Two people can lift a stripped G1 shell onto a trailer easily.
We have stripped a couple in the UK and weighed bent shells in for scrap.
Got about £200 each for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Location??
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 01:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Boulder City NV, outside of Vegas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in