New Cars -- That's the best they can do? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Cars -- That's the best they can do?

Was at the auto show, yesterday. It's a "no-sell show" (no sales pitches) so I was free to sit in a lot of vehicles that I'm too cheap to buy. To be honest, I was disappointed and left hoping my G1 runs for a long, long time.

QUESTION: Does anybody else hate those stupid space-hogging center consoles that run between the front seats? My tiny, 2-seat puddle-jumper has far more room around the driver's seat than ANY of the vehicles I was in, including the HUGE pickups and SUVs!

The technology also makes me uncomfortable. Does the car-maker *really* need to know where my vehicle is at all times? If they know, who else does?

Maybe I'm just being and old [email protected] about things. I suspect I am.
I'd own a Karmann Ghia, but prefer to not freeze in the winter!
Arbus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I like to control my own car non of this computer take over my steering wheel crap

Another old fart chiming in
Sam12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Maybe I'm an old fart too. I don't like new cars either. I even think the Insight is too fancy! But I'm working on simplifying it! I'm going to the Rochester NY auto show tomorrow. Mostly for the static shocks!
2000 Honda Insight (#256) - No IMA, lots of mods in progress
2000 Honda Insight (#5342) - stock, needs work
1988 Honda CRXFi - will run again someday
Gasoline Fumes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Old skool driver also.I think new technology is fine until we go too far from what an item was meant for.Phones for example to me are just to make calls but now do so much more- but look at the security issues,tracking,texting,etc.The new cars are evolving into more than a means to just travel from point (a)to point (b).Again to me,over complicated, items I do not want,information I do not want to share,and the prices are crazy high.But I am sure most people as they age treat technology as a threat but I think things nowadays ,many are to get me in line/controlled to follow in things I do not believe in.I grew up and like controlling my own path in life - unfortunately the freedom of our cars and many other things in life will all be gone soon.Amazing I made it this far - no seatbelts,impact bumpers,backup cameras,abs,navigation,anti roll,blue tooth,lane change alarms,etc ,with self driving coming soon.Great for some but I do not like giving away my life’s experiences and freedoms to others for technology I do not need.
Bobbyd1956 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree also. My flip phone does all I need it to do.
Tech-knowledge came to fast for me. And I still drive a "stick" at 78 YO.
Now days we are being forced into using all the HI tech stuff. Whether we want it or not.
In vehicles it seems everyone now days wants more luxury and all the gizmos, but don't even know how to check air in a tire.
(MHO)
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Technology will be really speeding up with 5g coming.So fast that people will not be able to keep up and we will all have to depend on the so called experts on what’s good and/or safe for everyone.SCAREY place we are rushing into.No thoughts -No freedoms -No thanks
Bobbyd1956 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbus View Post
QUESTION: Does anybody else hate those stupid space-hogging center consoles that run between the front seats?.... Maybe I'm just being and old [email protected] about things. I suspect I am.
I do, too. I sat in a new Insight a week or so ago and the bulbous console was one of the first things that irritated me... Same with any of the newer cars.

I'm also more or less inline with what others say above regarding technology in cars... It's hard to believe there isn't a market for minimalist styling, design, 'tech', etc. Or rather, I bet there IS a market (consider Tesla Model 3); it's just hard to believe manufacturers don't tap into it... I think the bottom line is that tech is an easy way to increase profit margins, similar to how trucks have larger profit margins than cars, so manufacturers and dealers find it hard to resist...

It's also interesting, ironic, that there's a lot of us who feel this way about new cars and tech, yet, we drive a sort of tech-y car. There's a finer, more subtle critique going on here. I think it's simply that we like, can appreciate, the technology that serves the core functionality of 'the car' - like the blend of economy and performance that gets us where we need to go (i.e. transportation), while we shun the superfluous (i.e. the living room/entertainment center on wheels)... I don't think this is the same as being an "old fart."
Old 02-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

I came away most impressed by, of all things, the low-end hatchbacks by Chevy. The Sonic and the Spark. One on display actually had wind-up windows which made me gleefully happy to spin up and down a few times.

Y'know, I drove a Prius C for a couple of years, at the time it was arguably one of Toyota's most technologically sophisticated cars, but the tech went to making the car better and it was, for the most part, seamless and unobtrusive.

That's what I like about the G1. The technology is *an intrinsic part* of the car and the car wouldn't exist without it.

The other thing. The "classic car" section was almost all '70s muscle cars. There was a year-one (1990?) Miata/MX5 there and, next to it, an empty space. I thought, maybe, next year, my G1 should sit in that spot!
I'd own a Karmann Ghia, but prefer to not freeze in the winter!
Arbus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
vote 4 mawah

Default the best they can offer

It appears that yes, that is all we can hope for.

deleted the other 5 paragraphs about electric cars and KW/mile, 5g and 95GHz spectum, 100mpg and the green economy, arithmetic and the last 2 dacades.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

To me, a new car is one that is at least 10 or more years old with a proven history. Let the consumers spend new car money to figure out whats reliable and I will buy one when its 10 or more years old.
thatdellguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in