Grid Charging batteries out of the car - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grid Charging batteries out of the car

I'm new to all these insights. I bought my first one last November and 4 more roughly in the last month. One of them came with a grid charger that had a 4 molex computer connector on it. The last one I bought had a 4 flat trailer wiring connector on it so I just made up an adapter to fit. Can I pull the batteries out of the other cars and grid charge them on a bench or do they need to be connected to other items in the car to charge properly. I would think bench charging is fine but just wanted to make sure. I have an extra battery that I picked up that's sitting on the bench that I wanted to play with first.
Thanks for the help.
2003 Silver CVT 108k
2005 Silver CVT 261k
bvad8486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bench charging is fine. You have to take the battery out anyway to install a harness to connect a charger in most cases.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes you can. Where are you from. You have five cars? If you do you are a five timers club member. What colors are they? I would not charge or discharge below 40F better to charge it 70 but in the house you could control that. I get advice from what I call the top 10. Welcome to the insight world?
NathanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks, Yeah I have 5 of them. I have 4 here in my driveway in Northern Cali but headed to TN sometime this year. I have one that I paid for but am picking up on the east coast in 9 days. Been waiting to pick that one up for about 2 months. That ones going to be a special one to me. It's a custom color and will give me details about it after I pick it up.
3 of them are Silver and 1 blue. I'd like to get a citrus at some point and would like to find some more MTs. Well actually I need to stop buying them. The blue one I was going to turn into a mini truck. Taking them all to TN won't be very fun....but as long as they make it. My last trip from east coast to CA ended up with CVT going out in middle of TX. But there seems to be lots of these cars popping up cheaply here in CA for I grab them if I can.

Anyways thanks for the battery tips. I'll have to get them pulled out and get a charging.
2003 Silver CVT 108k
2005 Silver CVT 261k
Old 03-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I recommend enhanced cooling...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Thanks, I already have a few of those fans so I'll give it a shot.
2003 Silver CVT 108k
2005 Silver CVT 261k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in