Hot sockets - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hot sockets

Iím trying to figure out which two sockets of the four to my IMA battery, thru the wiring yoke of my Maxxvolt charger are the main leads to the battery. This so I can wire my discharge load thru the yoke. The four are in a female nine pin socket and numbered 3, 1, 4, and 7. Will my volt meter only read voltage across the main leads or will it show voltage across to the fan leads as well. Max volts was reluctant to tell me for warranty and shock risk reasons. Though I saw the plug solution as less dangerous than going back to the open battery and splicing wires. Does anyone out there know which of the sockets are the right ones?
EricTheWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

If you can't figure it out via voltmeter by measuring pack voltage across two of the pins, then there's a diode in the line, and you can't discharge through them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

S. Keith thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have 175 volts across two of the sockets. So Iím going for it and making a discharge hookup to plug into them.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm trying to visualize how this would work. If you have found the battery plus and minus pins. Then there is a possibility of that you can make it work. Did you notice a diode in the charging harness when you installed the it?

If there is no diode, then you will have to find the matching Tyco plug if you are going to make it safe and foolproof. Please don't be tinkering with improvised ways to tap the female plug (as I think I understand the setup). That would be very dangerous.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

What is a "it"?
I know a thing and a blob, but not a IT.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jime, thanks for checking on me. So here’s what I did. I checked across sockets in the plug with my volt meter. It read 175+- volts but only across two sockets. And only with the probes in one orientation, polarity I assume. I checked the I’d of the sockets by finding a numbered drill from my index that fit in one of the uncharged sockets. Looked to be the diameter of bare 18 gauge stranded wire. Found a double ended two lead plug set with identical plugs on each end made up with 18 gauge stranded wire at Napa auto supply. Cut it in half, stripped two of the leads the length of the pins in the male end of the charger plug. Carefully soldered them and then checked the fit in the uncharged sockets, nice fit, good contact, not too tight and when plugged in no metal showing between the insulation and the plug body. In addition the insulation is slightly countersunk in the socket before it contacts the metal of the socket contact. When the two leads are inserted in side by side sockets, no connecting metal is exposed and the insulation of the two separate wires is not in contact. The soldered pins are tight enough that they only come out when intentionally pulled on. Too many words here but I wanted to express that I feel the set up is quite safe unless I do something really stupid or careless. I’m no electrical engineer but my dad was a genius double E and taught me to be a good technician. I have worked a lot with wiring dyna kits, heath kits, stereo, house wiring etc. not much DC but I’m aware of its increased need for respect and caution. That said the live end of the plug is hard to short because the metal contacts of the sockets are countersunk.
Poking them with a single pin cannot short two of them. And the pins when inserted are gripped by the insulation of the wire they are made from. solder has wicked well up into the insulation as well, making them rigid. From there wiring through the rest of the lightbulb discharger is pretty straight forward.
I feel very safe handling it. Unless I have missed something it should work. I’ll read the Maxxvolt literature about a diode and comment on that. I just read the literature and there’s no mention of the diode. I think there might be a fuse in one of the lines to the IMA battery.

Last edited by EricTheWood; 03-11-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like you have it under control. Since that plug seems to be always hot, it might be a good idea to turn off the IMA when you're plugging it in to prevent arcing. I fried a Molex connector one time when I didn't do this.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sam, thanks, a good suggestion.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

I should know this by now. Do I disconnect the 12 volt battery both when grid charging and discharging?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in