seat belt tensioner - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default seat belt tensioner

The passenger seat belt on one of my insight was stuck (unable to pull it out). So I removed it and noticed the warnings (explosive) on it. So I looked around the internets and owner's manual and I read that there is a lifetime warranty on Honda seat belts. So I took the seat belt to my nearest Honda dealer (Dean) and asked about replacing it. The service manager said that it would be $56 to diagnose it. I said that I read that there is a lifetime warranty for Honda seat belts. He said that the warranty is no longer valid since I took out the seat belt. So I said never mind, I'll take a good one out of an old Insight that I no longer drive. So I went to the "parts" car and tested it (pulled it out and let it retract). Then I took it out, which is pretty easy except for the bottom bolt. Once I had it out of the car, I pulled on the belt and it would no longer come out. I was baffled. I thought that it might have to be electrically connected in order to pull out, so I re-connected the yellow connector (may be called a "squib"?) and tried to pull it out the belt, but it still wouldn't. I went back to the Honda dealer and asked if I could ask a mechanic a question. The service manager took me back to a mechanic and I explained what I did. He told me that there is a sensor in there that will only let the seat belt release if it is in the upright position exactly as it sits in the car! He said if you put it back in the car that it should work. So I held the tensioner box thing in the upright position and tugged on it and it released. It has to be in a VERY precise position in order to release. I suspect that this is so that it will hold a passenger if the car starts to rollover. Can you think of any other reason why the tensioner box has to be upright in order to release? I've looked around the internets and not found an answer. I will put it in sometime next week and let you know if it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1630.jpg (96.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1631.jpg (138.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1632.jpg (103.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1633.jpg (95.4 KB, 2 views)
old97s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

That sounds like a reasonable explanation. It's a safety thing.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

There is ball bearing inside the sensor and if it's just a little off vertical, a stopper will slide out when you pull on the belt stopping it.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in