Windshield Shade Band - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Windshield Shade Band

Hey all. I've moved to a new city where I have to drive directly east into the sun in the morning and subsequently directly west after work. The lack of a shade band (blue tint) on the upper few inches of the windshield has become a huge distraction and incredibly dangerous for me on the drives.

I haven't found much on the forums here regarding adding a shade band of any type. I need something or the car will become undriveable during most of the year.

Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TheExitWound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check with your local DMV about the limits of the "permanent" sunshade.
On TV they have been showing a visor clip that might work for you.
Similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NXT4ZW..._t1_B002JR949K
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Willie Williford; 03-19-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

In PA, there's no percentage limit on tinting on the top 3 inches, then 70% on the front windshield altogether everywhere else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

In every car I've ever owned I've taken a piece of "foam core" that artists use in framing and cut out an upside-down truncated pyramid shape to wedge-fit between the rear-vew mirror and the ceiling. It covers only the area in-between the sun visors and works wonders. I'll see if I'm smart enough to post a picture.

When I first had my G1, I had dark tint along the top edge of the windshield. It made me feel like I was sitting inside a very tiny, very dark cave. I hated it. But that's just me.
I'd own a Karmann Ghia, but prefer to not freeze in the winter!
Arbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd rather sit in a very tiny, very dark cave than die because I ran into a cow in the middle of the road because I was blind. If you can find a pic, that'd be great. However, looking for something a little less ... DIY ... that won't be suspicious. And I don't want to look at replacing the windshield.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I drove east going to work for 25 years so I hear you on the cow--only for me it was crazy people at 70mph.

Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post images without having an intervening website to link to, if that's even possible. I did a site-search and came up with, oh, about a bajillion hits. Perhaps somebody smarter than me can provide some advice.
I'd own a Karmann Ghia, but prefer to not freeze in the winter!
Arbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

What about a pair of "Tactical Sunglasses"?
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

The car doesn't have sunvisors?
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2019, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

The previous owner of my car worked at a car stereo and window tint shop. He used the Insight as his guinea pig. I have just the sort of shade strip you describe. Will try to take a photo tomorrow.

In the two months I’ve owned it I can’t remember it blocking the sun... but I can’t remember being blinded by the sun either. So it either works or the sun doesn't shine in Wisconsin in the winter.

Park
MparkH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Here’s a photo of the tint band on my windshield.

Park
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 234A5B1A-CC5A-4A72-853B-8512990D6772_1553088843209.jpg (130.1 KB, 7 views)
MparkH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in