Hybrid Automotive Battery Discharger – you should know this - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2019, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Hybrid Automotive Battery Discharger – you should know this

Last week a Hybrid Automotive Battery Discharger I bought to use for my G1 Insights was delivered. It is programed and labelled with three discharge termination voltage points – 96, 60 and 12 volts. I went to the HA website to check the User Guide. It gave termination voltages for the three-stage deep discharge of 96, 72 and 60 volts.

After an initial, not very helpful, email exchange with HA’s help desk I got this response (spelling and grammatical errors uncorrected):

"The correct levels are the ones in the table on the user guide. The thing is that we recently notice and got information in regards to the last discharge level that we used to have, it was doing more harm than good. So we made it so that customer only has to do the first and the second level. I know that we in the middle one it shows 72v but since it's not really far away from 60v. You can drop it down to 60 twice. Its still automatic because the unit will still regulate by it self and stop by it self, the only thing we did by changing the table its advice our customer that its not needed to drop it down the last lower level the discharger its program for."

There is a number of ways in which HA could have been more informative and transparent - changing the labels on the Discharger and including an information sheet with the product explaining the new advice would have been a good start.

Anyone using an HA discharging product (whether the original light bulb or discharge unit) should be aware of the change in HA’s recommendations and advice.

I also note that HA’s website still has a User Guide for a Prolong Intelligent Discharger – which I think HA no longer sells – with recommended termination points of 96, 60 and 12 volts. I don’t know whether the new recommendations apply to the “Prolong Intelligent Discharger” as well as the “Prolong Battery Discharger” (which is what I bought) – but I assume it does. If you have any doubts you should contact HA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ghillie
2001 red mt Insight - 85,000 km
2001 citrus mt Insight - 120,000 km
2004 silver Prius - 190,000 km
2006 blue Prius - 77,000 km
2007 silver Civic Type R - fn2 - 170,000 km
ghillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

I hope they get on the forum really soon and explain this. My discharger goes to 12 volts as the third discharge level. We, as a community, need a definitive answer. Prolong, are you listening?
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

0.8V, 0.5V, and 0.1V per cell (96, 60 and 12) will still work just fine. We recently updated our guidelines (and dischargers) to 0.8V, 0.6V, and 0.4V per cell termination values because we are seeing that going all the way down to 0.1V isn't really needed except when batteries are otherwise unrecoverable. In a few cases in the Toyota market, going that low caused cells that were already borderline to fail (we haven't seen this with the Honda batteries). Since is seems their is little incremental benefit going down from 0.4V to 0.1V, and it is occasionally causing weak prismatic cells to fail (likely from the polarity reversal), we decided to update our recommendations.

We changed the Product SKU with the change in discharge termination values. If you have a PD-XX with the lower values, you can discharge to 96, then 60, then 60 again. If the battery is still not responding to the cycling and you have an IMA light, then discharge to 12 volts.

The table on our website is presently updated for the PD2-XX products. I will add a second table for the PD-XX to the page later this week with these comments to help avoid any confusion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Extending the life of your hybrid
Best Tank: 90.2MPG over 918.7 miles 010MCM/030BCM, No MIMA. Details:

2006 Dark Blue Insight. Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, three blues, and a Citrus

jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

How is that for a dedicated Insighter's response.
(Not even 24 hours later!)
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in