So we bit the bullet - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2019, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default So we bit the bullet

We were having all sorts of IMA problems with my daughter's gen1 Insight so we bit the bullet and bought a replacement battery from Bumblebee batteries. Installed over the weekend and it is now like a new car! IMA error is gone however we have a leftover Maintenance Required light. I checked with my OBDII reader and it does not detect any codes. I ran a code clear anyway but the indicator stayed. Any suggestions on how to find the error?

Ken
kdpearson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

The Maintenance Required light is just a timer to tell you when to change the oil, every 7,500 miles. It has nothing to do with the operation of the car or IMA. The instruction to clear it is in your Owner's Manual.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
The Maintenance Required light is just a timer to tell you when to change the oil, every 7,500 miles. It has nothing to do with the operation of the car or IMA. The instruction to clear it is in your Owner's Manual.

Sam
Got it. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
eq1

Instructions in the owner's manual are incorrect. To turn off the maintenance light, with key OFF push and hold the trip reset button, turn key ON, wait for light to turn OFF, release button, turn key OFF. Trip buttons are often faulty so the procedure often doesn't work...
Old 03-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
Instructions in the owner's manual are incorrect. To turn off the maintenance light, with key OFF push and hold the trip reset button, turn key ON, wait for light to turn OFF, release button, turn key OFF. Trip buttons are often faulty so the procedure often doesn't work...
The instructions in the manual worked fine for me. I don't remember what they were offhand but maybe Honda updated the manual for the later years.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you! I will give it a try when my daughter gets home.

Ken
Old 03-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
The instructions in the manual worked fine for me. I don't remember what they were offhand but maybe Honda updated the manual for the later years.
Could be. It's an old issue that's floated around for years... This is what my incorrect manual says: "To reset the maintenance required indicator, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position, then press and hold the trip meter reset button until the indicator resets."

Obviously they've forgotten a step - where you turn the key ON and you can actually see when the indicator resets, when it goes out. Otherwise you can sit there all day, pressing the trip button with the key in LOCK, and nothing changes.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Could be. It's an old issue that's floated around for years... This is what my incorrect manual says: "To reset the maintenance required indicator, turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position, then press and hold the trip meter reset button until the indicator resets."

Obviously they've forgotten a step - where you turn the key ON and you can actually see when the indicator resets, when it goes out. Otherwise you can sit there all day, pressing the trip button with the key in LOCK, and nothing changes.
I'll see if I can run over to parking tomorrow and see what my manual says.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
These instructions worked great for our 2000 Insight. Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Quick Update

Three weeks with a new BumbleBee battery and the Insight is doing great!

After installing the battery we noticed that along with no more IMAs (yeaaa!) the Insight has better acceleration from stops and it provides assist all the way up hills rather than it dying out half way up the hill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in