Upgrade your car stereo ...without replacing the factory radio - Page 4 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #31 (permalink)

The wires are already there. All you need to do is install the speakers. There are already cut-outs under the carpet behind the seats.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #32 (permalink)

Great! Thanks.
EricTheWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
The wires are already there. All you need to do is install the speakers. There are already cut-outs under the carpet behind the seats.

Sam
True but just because you can doesn't mean you should. The location directly behind the seats is not ideal for sound quality (understatement). The money and effort is much better spent upgrading the front speakers.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #34 (permalink)

While not ideal because if the proximity to the seat backs, my cars with rear speakers sound much better than the ones without them. (all Insights) They just fill in more sound in the rear of the car. If you don't like it, turn them off!

I agree that quality speakers all around are necessary.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 AM   #35 (permalink)

I plan to buy a cassette deck insert with a wire connect ( not Bluetooth ) to plug my phone Into the radio thru. Any opinions on who makes a good one?
EricTheWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackattacker View Post
True but just because you can doesn't mean you should. The location directly behind the seats is not ideal for sound quality (understatement). The money and effort is much better spent upgrading the front speakers.
Upgrade the front speakers and put a sub in the rear trunk floor, wired to the DC convertor. Better highs and mids, and better lows. Love how my insight sounds now.
ADDvanced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackattacker View Post
Upgrade the front speakers and put a sub in the rear trunk floor, wired to the DC convertor. Better highs and mids, and better lows. Love how my insight sounds now.
I once strapped a subwoofer to the back of a van seat which shook the seat and filled in the low end response even though you could barely hear the sub over the road noise. But you sure could feel it. I have been considering harvesting 6' sub drivers from home theater systems and putting those behind the front seat, doors remain midrange, high/tweeters on dash or on the triangle side mirror hardware covers (saw that in a photo on this site.) The high frequency stuff is very directional and needs to be in front of you; the midrange, not so much, the subs, almost anywhere.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #38 (permalink)

It would seem to me that speakers installed in the pre-cut holes behind the seats would function as woofers. The mids and high notes would be absorbed by the seats in front of them. Effectively you would be left with two woofers. Some radios allow you to tune what is sent to those speakers, too, so you could send them just the low notes.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheWood View Post
I plan to buy a cassette deck insert with a wire connect ( not Bluetooth ) to plug my phone Into the radio thru. Any opinions on who makes a good one?
I think a $5 cassette adapter from Five Below would be a suitable match for the audiophile-quality stock radio.

(I'm not really criticizing the radio, as I'm sticking with stock myself.)

Seriously, the adapter is probably the best way to go because it effectively isolates the phone from the amplifier which otherwise would lead to buzzing when the phone is connected to a car charger, which is really hard to get rid of completely.

Last edited by *sean*; 06-12-2019 at 07:42 PM.
*sean* is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

I love this community's desire to stick with the crappy OEM radio... my three G1's all still have their factory radios, too. I suspect that once ic.net members don't strive for these oddities, I will lose interest in the G1. This community is awesome!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in