Upgrade your car stereo ...without replacing the factory radio - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Upgrade your car stereo ...without replacing the factory radio

So, call me odd, but I like the look of the original head unit in my G1. Something about keeping it original and seeing the cassette player is cool to me. But, I still want to install a new stereo and have Bluetooth etc. I have tried the FM transmitters. But they don't sound good at all. I even tried the cassettes that go into the cassette player and have Bluetooth. But that was miserable. Does anyone know of a head unit that is installed remotely and controlled by phone or have the controls on a goose-neck? I figured some of the classic car guys might know of something.
Johnmarkzimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am of no help but here's the record player for cars. 16 RPM .I don't listen to music in my car because of the electrical drain on the battery. No music no fan no air-conditioning unless she's real pretty and no car seats and no windshield wipers front or back. I'm close to having no sense .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1767_1554210851194.jpg (34.8 KB, 14 views)
NathanC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post
I am of no help but here's the record player for cars. 16 RPM .I don't listen to music in my car because of the electrical drain on the battery. No music no fan no air-conditioning unless she's real pretty and no car seats and no windshield wipers front or back. I'm close to having no sense .
You should change your avatar to the Flintstones car!
I haven't been into listing to music lately, but I am addicted to podcasts. And I hear it is illegal in GA to have even one earbud in one ear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Find a JDM 2 din radio plastic cover, then you can have both radios.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dinfin.JPG (179.3 KB, 18 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight,

Last edited by tryingbe; 04-02-2019 at 02:45 PM.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Assuming you don't have the rear 6 disk changer, this device will work for you. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32774583569.html
Old 04-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheos View Post
Assuming you don't have the rear 6 disk changer, this device will work for you. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32774583569.html
Yes, that looks perfect. I don't have the CD changer.
It says I it will take a month to arrive. So I looked on Amazon. But Amazon's is a 6+8 connector. Am I correct in thinking I need the 7+7 PIN interface for the Insight?

Last edited by Johnmarkzimm; 04-03-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmarkzimm View Post
Yes, that looks perfect. I don't have the CD changer.
It says I it will take a month to arrive. So I looked on Amazon. But Amazon's is a 6+8 connector. Am I correct in thinking I need the 7+7 PIN interface for the Insight?
Correct, you need the 7+7. I couldn't find one on Amazon or Ebay, likely due to the demand you'd expect from a car of this age.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Throw it into the trash. I swapped to a cheap $70 sony HU and the sound quality improvement was enormous.
ADDvanced is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Atheos,
I see in your description below that you have a McIntosh/Zapco sound system. Do you have pictures of it?
Old 04-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi. A few years ago, I installed an 'iPod adapter' to the CD changer input on my '06 stock radio/cd player. It has wired aux input that you could easily add a (cheap) bluetooth receiver to the wired input or plug in your phone audio out directly. An ebay search for 'ipod honda adapter' yielded a few results with the 7x7 pin connector.
hybriddancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in