Got rear-ended today..... - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 PM  

Default Got rear-ended today.....

Pulling out of a parking lot and turning right. Girl just wasn't paying attention and smashed into me pretty good.

I don't really want insurance to handle this. They will almost assuredly total the car. Whats under the bumper skin that I need to be concerned with?

HiSPL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 06:47 PM  

Is Texas an at fault state?

If so, I'd let the woman's insurance take care of it. By that, I mean collect the money and pocket it.

Quick inspection would be open the truck, remove the storage lining, look to see if the metal is bent.

Other wise, you'll have to take the cover off to see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight,

Last edited by tryingbe; 04-11-2019 at 06:56 PM.
tryingbe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2019, 07:06 PM  

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Grab a new rear bumper cover from a junkyard, they're sure to be cheap. I got one despite not having an accident, just because it was in better shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 07:59 PM  

Likely the aluminum rear bumper beam is bent. They're designed to crush somewhat and absorb impact. New one is $210

If you don't want to involve insurance you might just accept a cash offer and then decide to fix or just keep driving it. Many people are happy to give you cash because they don't want their insurance to go up as a result of a minor fender bender. I'd probably ask for $500, which is less than most people's deductible, and source a used bumper cover as mentioned. Or just buff it out, doesn't look that bad. If you took it to a proper body shop though where they had to paint a new bumper cover and that drives the cost up well north of $1k.

We recently dealt with a similar fender bender on her car (A much newer car). Total bill was over $2k. Pocketing the money was not an option, the body shop and us had so submit paperwork certifying the work had been done.

Last edited by ackattacker; 04-11-2019 at 08:02 PM.
ackattacker is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2019, 11:32 PM  

Here in Texas, here's what you do: Call the stupid girl's insurer, and file a damage claim. They will either send out an appraiser or ask for pictures of the damage (depending on the company), and shortly thereafter provide you with a settlement offer.

Reject the initial settlement regardless of the amount, especially if they threaten to total the vehicle. Tell the insurer you will not accept such a low offer, and give them a chance to increase the offer on such a rare, special vehicle. Under no circumstance, however, should you accept any offer that totals the vehicle (due to its age, as appraisers have no idea of the enduring, intrinsic value of our cars), which will result in a rebuilt title that will make it difficult for you to sell (or even purchase comprehensive insurance for!) the Insight in the future, should you be foolish enough to consider that someday. You were struck from behind, so do remind the appraiser you may have injuries that have not manifested at this time. Do NOT threaten legal action, because then they will hang up and only deal with your lawyer. You really don't want a lawyer to start throwing his or her weight around for this small an amount. Trust me.

When the settlement offer is increased... And it will be (shoot for double the original, insulting amount)... Then ask for a check, take the check (as is your right) and have the minor damage fixed at a body shop that comfortably handles aluminum vehicles (and there are many, from F150s to Jaguars to Audis and... Insights)... Have them professionally fix it and pocket the rest.

Or do nothing, and settle for just enough to get the bumper buffed and repainted, which is what most insurers want you to do before you go away forever.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:11 AM  

Minor variation on what boogety said. The aluminum bumper underneath is likely not badly damaged, and it isn't visible. I'd take the check and simply shop for a used cover. ITS SILVER! There must be hundreds available. The changeover will only take a hour, the attachments are all pretty simple.

I suppose it depends on the starting condition of the car. I'm assuming it is a well used, reasonably high mileage, showing some wear average car. If it is a pristine collector item, the fix it right of course.

I agree with what someone else said earlier. Remove the drop-in storage compartment and make sure there is no damage to the rear bulkhead.

Do you do most of your own work???
Old 04-12-2019, 03:14 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
Minor variation on what boogety said. The aluminum bumper underneath is likely not badly damaged, and it isn't visible. I'd take the check and simply shop for a used cover. ITS SILVER! There must be hundreds available. The changeover will only take a hour, the attachments are all pretty simple.

I suppose it depends on the starting condition of the car. I'm assuming it is a well used, reasonably high mileage, showing some wear average car. If it is a pristine collector item, the fix it right of course.

I agree with what someone else said earlier. Remove the drop-in storage compartment and make sure there is no damage to the rear bulkhead.

Do you do most of your own work???
Yeah I typically do everything myself. This is my commuter/beater with 210k miles on it. While it's not in the best shape, it was straight and relatively damage-free. I do have a functioning IMA as long as I grid charge it about once a month...

The most concerning thing to me is a very very light whiff of gasoline after the wreck. At first I wrote it off to other vehicles, etc, but after smelling it like 5 times yesterday I can't really ignore that little clue.... :-/ Hopefully I'll get to look at it tonight or tomorrow morning.
HiSPL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2019, 03:21 PM  
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
The most concerning thing to me is a very very light whiff of gasoline after the wreck. At first I wrote it off to other vehicles, etc, but after smelling it like 5 times yesterday I can't really ignore that little clue.... :-/ Hopefully I'll get to look at it tonight or tomorrow morning.
check the fuel line at the passenger side of the firewall under the hood. Very common for that to rust out, which results in the cabin smelling like fuel.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:16 PM  
Lifetime Member

Also, the fuel sender often gets knocked loose in rear-end collisions, which I imagine could cause a smell of fuel in the cabin. Might be something to check if your fuel gauge readings seem off.
Mario is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 PM  

You don't notice any exhaust leaks do you? My muffler fell off a few days ago so some of the exhaust comes up the bumper and in through the rear air vents. It smells like fuel for the first few minutes of driving and is surprisingly strong. Maybe something else broke in my car, but seems unlikely. We will see if it goes away once I get the exhaust repaired (the no longer make insight muffler, so I'll put an after market one on)
midnightsnacker41 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in