Just got my second Insight! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2019, 04:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just got my second Insight!

I just dragged home another 2000 Insight. It was cheap ($300), but has a few issues. I probably saved it from the crusher. It sat for a couple of years. What are the odds of the "new" IMA battery taking a charge? I disabled it for now. Also, is there a starter from another Honda that can be used? I had to borrow the starter from my other Insight to get this one running. I'd prefer a used junkyard starter, but there are no Insights in junkyards near me. I know there's no direct cross reference, but I'm hoping something is close enough to work.

Neither of my Insights came with keys, hence the dropped steering column. The wires on the seat are a towing harness I made to use the Insight's taillights instead of taping magnetic lights to an aluminum car.

Other issues:
Leaking fuel lines on firewall
Brake lines look bad
Pops out of 2nd gear
Body is kind of beat up
Stiff shifter
A/C doesn't work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2ndinsight.jpg (63.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg imacomp.jpg (65.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Insight2interior.jpg (72.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg insightintow.jpg (85.0 KB, 14 views)
2000 Honda Insight (#256) - work in progress
2000 Honda Insight (#5342)
1988 Honda CRXFi - work in slow progress
Gasoline Fumes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

For $300 you did great. First, you did save it from the crusher. It will only appreciate in value. The worst possible case is that it becomes a donor car for parts. Good luck with it and keep the board posted on your progress, please.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
What are the odds of the "new" IMA battery taking a charge?
The odds are good. I've done a full discharge/recharge on a few old IMA with great success.

You should have no problem finding a starter from someone on this forum. All the issues you mention on this car are fairly easy to fix, good score.
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats, gas fumes!

Second gear on these cars is prone to self-destruction. KLR3CYL rebuilds them and sells rebuilt transmissions. Or it should be possible to rebuild it yourself.

There's something about the design of the 2nd gear synchro that's unusual - which causes it to fail often. There's a mod to correct the problem, when you do a rebuild.

Double clutching is also a useful skill on these. If it likes to grind going into second (or any gear), you can avoid the grind and probably get many additional thousands of miles by double clutching. I had a rebuilt installed but I still double clutch when downshifting.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in