New Owner Upstate SC - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Drelen's Insight Thread

Hello Insight Central. I have been diving deep into all of the threads here and figured I should come up for air and say Hi before going back in.

This past weekend I picked up a wonderfully maintained Silver 2000 Insight. The Insight was not on my RADAR until recent. I had just changed careers and my new position is a long-ish commute at the moment. Naturally I decided to look for something that gets good gas mileage.

I began searching locally for affordable hybrids and saw a non running Insight for a low price. Since not knowing anything about the car I began the research to learn about this odd looking machine. That is when the fascination began. Being a Electromechanic Tech by trade this car hit all of my weak spots. I was beginning to become infatuated with the car. After I realized that I needed one, I called the local seller and was disappointed to hear that the car had already sold. Which made me want one ever more and actually worked out for the best. Shortly after, I came across another Insight for sale that was just within my comfort level to go pick up (a little over 300 miles drive away).

Contacting the seller to discuss potential issues with the car revealed that it did not have any unexpected quirks. Then before I knew it I was behind the wheel headed home with a new family member and smiling from ear to ear. Today was the first day I made the commute to work and it felt great. I have a lot to learn still and a few things I want to do with it but overall I am extremely happy with the car, after taking my step-son for a ride he said he wanted one now too haha.

Okay I am diving back in, there are a few things I am researching here in the forums and I am itching to get back to learning.

*Edit*
04/30/19

Looks like I can attach images now and I figured this one should be up front

Last edited by Drelen; 04-30-2019 at 10:22 PM. Reason: added image
Drelen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations on getting yourself an Insight and welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about your car.

Get yourself in a frame of mind to do all your own work. The dealerships are terrible with this now old car

Fortunately, there are some really good resources here on IC.

Last edited by jime; 04-15-2019 at 09:38 AM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Drelen:

+1, congrats on your "new" gem and welcome to the forum.

There are many resources on the site. On the home page is the knowledge base and interactive encyclopedia. At the top of each forum section are stickies, many with links that will answer most questions an insighter will encounter.

Here's a couple handy items to have when troubleshooting is required. From Mike Dabrowski's site a method to flash out trouble codes, Mikes site has lots info about our car. And a spreadsheet maintained by AbCaRed00 (Bill) that lists almost every trouble code the car can set. Bill's sheet also has many links to other good info.

Keep an eye on the "Hybrid Socials" section for upcoming meet ups. These are great opportunities to meet other insighters, work on cars, and share maintenance ideas.

Good luck and happy insighting.

..Bob
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Almost mandatory reading for new members is this:

https://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/index.html

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you all for the welcomes. Yes I fully intend to do my own maintenance and mods. I have done so in the past for all of my other vehicles, and I am excited to get experience with a hybrid. Which is what brought me here and to all of the awesome write-ups and great community, so much info here I just need to come up with a game plan before I start tinkering because right now I am like a kid in a candy store with eyes jumping around to all of the shiny things.

So more about the car. It is a 2000 Silver Insight. Has almost 200k miles on it with a life time MPG of a little over 54 mpg. Some paint is faded on the roof and a few of the exterior black accent colors are eroded away.

During the trip home I was able to average about 55 mpg while keeping up with my wife on the interstate going 75-80 mph. This week I have gone about 200 miles and averaged 59.2 mpg. My initial goal is to shoot for 60 mpg and so far that looks very promising.

I am thinking about starting a build thread to log the evolution of the car, is that something that is allowed here? I do not recall seeing many.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you are going to do mods or repairs on your Insight, keep them on a single thread, like here as it is your first post. Be careful of getting better mileage, it can be addictive, and you will always want MORE.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drelen View Post
I am thinking about starting a build thread to log the evolution of the car, is that something that is allowed here? I do not recall seeing many.
If you are going to be tinkering with the car yourself, you would really benefit from InsightFest2019. It will be in Columbus, OH on Sept. 6-8th. Probably a fairly easy one day drive from you.

Read about it here:

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...ml#post1429941
Old 04-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
If you are going to do mods or repairs on your Insight, keep them on a single thread, like here as it is your first post. Be careful of getting better mileage, it can be addictive, and you will always want MORE.

Willie
Hahha. Too late I am getting hooked. On the way home I hit 300 miles on this tank and also hit 60.1 average mpg goal achieved.

Good idea. Iíll keep my personal journey documented in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
If you are going to be tinkering with the car yourself, you would really benefit from InsightFest2019. It will be in Columbus, OH on Sept. 6-8th. Probably a fairly easy one day drive from you.
Ohh neat. Iíll look into it. I am originally from OH and have family up there still. Thank you for the heads up!
Old 04-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Ah ha, the mpg bug, VERY contagious.

Here's a link to some mpg tips. The article by Wayne Gerdes is a long read but has some detailed info. Combining a couple of his methods usually gives nice results.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Does the button on the trunk latch work? If not see my signature!

Welcome!
2000 Red #2596, 222k miles and counting. OBDIIC&C, Spare wheels, Bridgestone B381 145/80/14 LRR tires, Prolong Charger/Simple Discharger, rebuilt OEM pack
Whirring trunk latch fix
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in