Rear Spoiler Sun Damage - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear Spoiler Sun Damage

Just wondering if anyone has had any success restoring the appearance of the rear spoiler? The clear coat is often peeling. I wonder if the clear coat could be stripped off and then the hard black plastic base material could be buffed out to a nice shine?
CITRUS 95060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is always the option of plastidip or vinyl wrapping it.
Zerodrag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I ended up replacing mine, but the outside corners and tabs were broken, too. Doggone thing rattled like an old Ford pickup!
I'd own a Karmann Ghia, but prefer to not freeze in the winter!
Arbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITRUS 95060 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had any success restoring the appearance of the rear spoiler? The clear coat is often peeling. I wonder if the clear coat could be stripped off and then the hard black plastic base material could be buffed out to a nice shine?
I did this to a center section of my spoiler, where the paint was peeling and bubbling. I'll try to remember to take a pic and post it. It's definitely doable, but a bit tricky. The plastic underneath the paint can be buffed to a shine, not as shiny/glossy as the paint, but pretty decent... Can't remember what I used or did to do it. I probably used paint thinner, a plastic scraper, and a microfiber cloth to remove the old finish, and then probably used Novus plastic polish to buff by hand. The plastic scratches very easily and the scratches show up very noticeably - so you have to be careful if you want a decent finish... Also, note that it's black gloss paint, I guess with a clear coat, not just clear coat over black plastic...
Old 04-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Plastidip looks great, but only looks great for a year or so.
ADDvanced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
eq1

Here's one image, that's all the room I have left in the 'gallery' to post. Kind of hard to get a clear sense of the quality with only one image though... You can see the reflections in the part of the spoiler I refinished vs. OEM finish vs. the hatch glass to get a sense of the finish...

Thinking about it more, I recall I did at least start by using a drill with one of those sort of cloth/abrasive wheels on the end, to remove the paint. And as I recall, it ended up putting scratches in the plastic that were too deep to easily buff-out. From a few feet back you can't see them, but standing right above you can.

In general, the plastic underneath the paint has or can have a finish that more or less matches the air foil on the bottom of the bumper cover. I suppose it can have even a glossier finish, depending on how careful you are with the paint removal and buffing... Basically, I don't think you can use any mechanical method to remove the paint and then end up with a relatively easy time buffing and getting a good finish. I think that's why I was thinking 'paint thinner, plastic scraper, and cloth' above - not what I used, but what I concluded I probably should have used... I don't know if this is the way to go, but something like this, maybe a different more appropriate solvent, would be - something that will allow you to more or less rub and lightly flat-scrape the paint off, rather than something that will dig into the plastic and scratch...
Old 04-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd suggest checking out "Sweet Project Cars" on YouTube. From what I have seen of his ideas you should be able to use Mother's Aluminum and Chrome polish with a buffer or a drill-mounted buffer to get a shine on it. The same stuff works on headlights to buff out the foggy discoloration and leaves the headlight sparkling clean and no scratches. And it will not harm your paint.

I'll bet there is some rattle can clear coat.

Here is what HomeDepot offers, and I am sure there are others: https://www.homedepot.com/s/clear%2520coat?NCNI-5
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe a person could start with very fine wet sand paper to remove the peeling clear coat and then find a suitable polish to use with a buffing wheel. I am looking forward to giving it a try in the not too distant future. Any additional ideas are appreciated. Blessings to you all.
CITRUS 95060 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 02:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
eq1

I think the most important thing is simply getting the paint off as clean as possible, however you do it, that's key. Polishing the plastic to a nice finish is no big deal - if you don't scratch the plastic too much and/or too deeply while removing the paint. Wet sanding with really fine sand paper would probably work, but it seems like it'd be a major pain to do, take a long time. I wish I remember what I did a bit better. I seem to recall it ended up being easier and more effective to scrape and flake the paint off rather than trying to abrade it off (like with sand paper or whatever). Paint usually doesn't adhere too well to plastics in the first place, so once you get going, like starting with portions that are already messed up, you can kind of work the paint off in flakes, more peeling-like rather than wearing down-like through the paint with an abrasive.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

This guy has not steered me wrong yet: https://www.youtube.com/user/SweetPr...ery=clear+coat
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in