Battery Meter Shoots Up, Sometimes Trickles Down - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Battery Meter Shoots Up, Sometimes Trickles Down

Hello everyone,

Curious question for you - sometimes I'll have the battery at about 70%, and after driving for a 5-10 minutes, using no green charge bars (aka level, steady-speed, highway driving), it'll pop up to 100%.

Not too strange, I guess.

Sometimes as well, while driving about 10 minutes incredibly lightly, while using no orange assist bars, it'll slowly trickle it's way down to just 2 orange bars.

This seems to be occurring more and more often.

The batteries have about 70k miles on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Think it's time to pull the sticks out, and do a reconditioning?

Thanks!!
HondaInsighter06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are Recalculations. The IMA light is close behind. Grid charge now.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Sounds like your battery's on its way out.

Probably no need to go as far as stick-level reconditioning right now. Do you have a grid charger? The cells might just need balancing (which a grid-charger charge can do), or you might need to do some charge/dischrage cycles to help bring back some capacity.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Get and//or build a grid charger
Get OBDIIC&C so you can see what it's actually doing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick replies!

Please let me know if my understanding correct - a good grid charger will force all of the batteries back to 100%, and any battery that reaches 100% before the others will just dissipate the extra charge as heat? Also, once this happens, every battery will be fully charged, and therefore balanced? The computer will then recognize this full charge?

Also, if the batteries are on their last legs, wouldn't it make sense to do the stick-by-stick reconditioning? Shouldn't this also balance the batteries if they are individually recharged to 100%?

Lastly, with respect to grid chargers, I've seen tons of options, and have read lots of articles on building and buying. Are there any grid charger models any of you would recommend?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lots of reading here at ICN needed Grasshopper. Spend a few hours searching with the search mode located at the top of this page.
To fix something, you start with the easiest and then work to the hardest, if needed.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Don't worry, the amount of research performed could probably be counted in days by now

Based on the research, I assume these assumptions are somewhat accurate:

1. Grid charging charges all of the batteries to 100%. Any batteries that reach 100% before the others will merely take the additional "grid charging" as heat. Therefore, the batteries need to stay cooled during this process.

2. Stick-by-stick reconditioning is much, much more work, but probably one of the best ways to get the battery pack performing at its peak.

A question for those of you on this thread - do you have a grid charger you personally recommend? At this time, I'm looking to purchase rather than build one.

Thanks again!!
Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I built mine the redneck way, but IF I was going to buy one, I would look here:
https://hybridautomotive.com/products/

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in