What is your MPG based on temp? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default What is your MPG based on temp?

I thought I would get some feedback on how temperature affects your MPG. I have read posts where you guys live in insanely cold places and how that affects your MPG but what about other climates.
For me I have noticed a big difference in MPG based on temp, I was getting 59 to 60 MPG when the temperatures were at 50s to 60s, now that it is hitting the 80s i'm touching 64MPG that is a big increase for such a small temp gain!
Jrobling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I live in northern NM where we experience warm summers and cold winters. I keep a running spreadsheet to track fuel economy and definitely see the effect of the seasons.

A few things to note on the graph below:
-I got the car in late summer, 2012 and it took about nine months to learn how to drive it to get decent fuel economy. It did not help that this learning curve occurred over the winter where the fuel economy suffers due to the effects of the cold.
-I got another Insight about two years ago and used that car more than the one that I track with this spreadsheet, so the data for the last two years is a bit more sporadic. I did start using this car more recently.
-There are always outlier full-tank MPG readings, like for road trips, weird weather, new tires, etc.
-The red line (running average of full tank MPG results) has settled in a bit above 71 MPG for my use of the car.

Silver 2006 MT #531, 202K miles : Genesis One GCO1 Charger, OBDIIC&C, MIMA 070 PnP, GAZ rear shocks, KLR3CYL rear springs and belly pan
Silver 2005 MT #107, 187K miles : OBDIIC&C, KLR3CYL belly pan. Still fixing small things.
Silver 2001 MT #683, 256K miles : Beater/test bed. Might sell it later.
davenm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

So Do you get 70 mpg on flat terrain or is it hilly like in Oregon? I drove my new to me 2000 mt to Bend Oregon about 130 miles each way with the summit at 5000 plus feet a rise of 4000 feet from start. I did about 55 mpg on the first leg and returning I brought the overall average to 65 mpg for 260 miles total. I was pretty happy with that except the engine light came on and I apparently have a bad Coil, had to limp home the last 20 miles on 2 cylinders
Red Demon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Thats a great graph, what are the temps during summer and winter though?
Jrobling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

If the questions are directed at me:

The monthly temperatures where I live and where I work are shown below.

The elevation profile of my typical commute (one way, starting at the left of the graph) is also shown below. The drive home is the reverse with lots of downhill FCO time.

Of the Insight owners on this forum, I think I have one of the highest elevation locations and greatest elevation change commutes.

Silver 2006 MT #531, 202K miles : Genesis One GCO1 Charger, OBDIIC&C, MIMA 070 PnP, GAZ rear shocks, KLR3CYL rear springs and belly pan
Silver 2005 MT #107, 187K miles : OBDIIC&C, KLR3CYL belly pan. Still fixing small things.
Silver 2001 MT #683, 256K miles : Beater/test bed. Might sell it later.
davenm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in