New Gen1 Owner Questions - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Gen1 Owner Questions

Hello, I found a very nice late model Gen1 with the IMA light on. Codes are U0101 and P1648.

I haven't started to dig into it yet, but I was wondering if anyone could provide any information that will help with finding the issue.

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to get it going right.
Sumdumguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place!
Old 05-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Try this useful spreadsheet. Lots of good stuff other than codes there

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...jDFylA/pubhtml
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
Try this useful spreadsheet. Lots of good stuff other than codes there[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...jDFylA/pubhtml
Thank you, that was fantastic information!

I found that the IMA had been bypassed. I hooked it back up and the check engine light and IMA light went away.

The battery charges and held the charge well with the assist engaging. The only time I had a slight issue was after climbing a narrow, steep hill. After climbing it(1/4 mile), the battery was down to 4 bars and the 12v battery light came on.

Before I could turn around to head back, the 12v light went off, then a few minutes later the battery charged up a bit and the assist resumed operation. Never stopped going.

Maybe the battery? I'll test them and check out the BCM and MCM aswell.

Also, the A/C doesn't work with the IMA bypassed. Learning alot!

I'm going to check the mpg on a longer drive, also. I don't know if the readout is accurate. If it is, I'm struggling to get 43-46 tops.

Thanks again, I'm enjoying it.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumdumguy View Post

I found that the IMA had been bypassed. I hooked it back up and the check engine light and IMA light went away.
It was bypassed for a reason, most likely by the prior owner because the IMA battery is bad. Fact that the 12V battery light came on is additional indication.

Check your grounds. Use google custom search bar, top left, to search on grounds.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
Quote:

It was bypassed for a reason, most likely by the prior owner because the IMA battery is bad. Fact that the 12V battery light came on is additional indication.

Check your grounds. Use google custom search bar, top left, to search on grounds.
Yes, I plan on checking the batteries and grounds tomorrow. If those are indeed what are bad, I'll probably try my hand at refreshing the battery.

Off topic, but who's idea was it to omit grab handles above the doors, this car is LOW.
Comfortable seats once you're in, though.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, I plan on checking the batteries and grounds tomorrow. If those are indeed what are bad, I'll probably try my hand at refreshing the battery.

Off topic, but who's idea was it to omit grab handles above the doors, this car is LOW.
Comfortable seats once you're in, though.
Yes, that was overlooked iin the design. Re: MPG. If you do not have the Bridgestone RE92's on the car you are giving up about 5 MPG. Vredestein, the Dutch tire manufacturer, makes low rolling resistance tires, too. I believe some on the board have tried them. Next set for me will be Vredestein: they last longer.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Yes, that was overlooked iin the design. Re: MPG. If you do not have the Bridgestone RE92's on the car you are giving up about 5 MPG. Vredestein, the Dutch tire manufacturer, makes low rolling resistance tires, too. I believe some on the board have tried them. Next set for me will be Vredestein: they last longer.
I am running Federal Formoza FD2 @ 155/65R14 on the front and almost gone RE92s on the back. I have not noticed a difference in handling, but the car seems quieter and seems to grip fine. The mileage, I can't say because I've been sorting out other mileage-impacting issues at the same time. Actually, @jime drove it recently and can speak a little about this, but he wasn't trying to test its handling.

The price for the Formozas is $35/tire at Walmart. I went with them after reading that someone else here was happy with them, and that they seemed to get ok to good reviews, and they are so inexpensive that they are worth trying as an experiment.

I have two more Formozas at home and will be putting them on when the other RE92s are finished, or when I get two extra rims (missed my opportunity recently from a wreck at a junkyard.) My car is quiet in the front, so I wonder what will happen when I put these on the back (maybe I should just rotate them.)

If you say that 50000 miles is the tire lifetime, and get the tires at the cheapest possible price (about $92 for the RE92s, $35 for the FD2) a five MPG difference ends up with pretty much no cost differential (fuel + tires) over the life of the tires. However I think the FD2s may last longer than the RE92s. The speedometer will read higher than actual, but that's OK with me, driving a red car that seems to want to zip past the speed limit before I notice it has done so.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

This is just me speaking. I have had Chinese tires before and they were hardly more than rim protectors. I had them put on at Les Schwab. They were on a Dodge diesel 3/4 ton truck. They cost more than the equivalent Michelins and lasted less than 15,000 miles. Michelin was guaranteed for 30K, maybe 50K, IIRC, but Costco did not have them in stock. I'm just not willing to buy tires from other than an old, established tire manufacturer. YMMV. The RE92's are the only other non-Michelins I have bought since about 1968. I have never had premature wear or tire failure with Michelin. The RE92's are good so far.

I agree about the costing out the price against the mileage. It's a valid argument. But I'm going with the herd on this one until the RE92's wear out. Then the Vredesteins. I think tires come up for contentious discussion now and again. Just some of the fun of being on the board.

Whatever you do, though, just keep enjoying that car. They are wonderful. You get one helluva lot of bang for your buck and get to own a very interesting and rare auto to boot.

PS: I never mix radials. Always the same tires all the way around.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've checked the grounds, which appear fine. It's raining, so I'm being a bit lazy right now(electricity and all)...

I did take it out for a little jaunt and finally received a new code. P1575. Thoughts?

If it ever dries up, I'll take some readings and check the 100a junction fuse. I know it's probably the batteries, but I want to make sure it's not something stupid before I tear into the battery pack.

One other thing, the car has started driving much better. Assist will go to full power and battery is charging and discharging normally. It doesn't shudder anymore when taking off faster than a crawl.

I like this little car a lot, even with the CVT. I may start looking for a manual with battery problems.

Again, HUGE thank you for the kindness you guys have shown!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in