Trading in the old 2000 insight, Gosh I can't decide - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trading in the old 2000 insight, Gosh I can't decide

My mom is looking at getting the new honda plug in hybrid. What is that, the clarity?

She currently has a first gen nissan leaf. The dealer is offering a minimum trade in value of 3k, with no other deals, at MSRP.

I got tapped on the shoulder because my mom believes I have the cheapest car in the family. I'm both flattered that she notices my frugalness but a little offended by the idea she thinks the insight is worth less than anything else.

She might be right, $$wise, but there's no other cars that get the same highway fuel economy.

I'm strongly considering saying yes, and my mom wants me to go back to the dealship with her to finalize the deal and trade in my old insight.

The bad thing is the dealership auctions most of "these" cars off, anything more than 10 years old ,or in less than perfect condition. If not I could be sneaky and buy it back off their lot for what would probably be a few hundred bucks.

So while I'm excited at the possibility of using no gas, I will miss the long rage of the insight.

What wouod you do?
12V battery always charges now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

many good miles & counting
MichaelWoodcock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Exiled from Florida. Crawfordsville, IN. About an hour west of INDY

I give Mom the money for the Leaf and keep my Insight. Then Mom can make a better deal with cash down, if you're able financially.
jbyoungis@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWoodcock View Post
My mom is looking at getting the new honda plug in hybrid. What is that, the clarity?

She currently has a first gen nissan leaf. The dealer is offering a minimum trade in value of 3k, with no other deals, at MSRP.

I got tapped on the shoulder because my mom believes I have the cheapest car in the family. I'm both flattered that she notices my frugalness but a little offended by the idea she thinks the insight is worth less than anything else.

She might be right, $$wise, but there's no other cars that get the same highway fuel economy.

I'm strongly considering saying yes, and my mom wants me to go back to the dealship with her to finalize the deal and trade in my old insight.

The bad thing is the dealership auctions most of "these" cars off, anything more than 10 years old ,or in less than perfect condition. If not I could be sneaky and buy it back off their lot for what would probably be a few hundred bucks.

So while I'm excited at the possibility of using no gas, I will miss the long rage of the insight.

What wouod you do?

Well if you want my insight, you can't have it; I'm still driving it. But if you want to know what I would do, given the age, and how many miles are on her, I would just trade her in, and get me a new mom.

But seriously, these cars are getting rarer by the day, every time another one goes to the boneyard, or the crusher. If the body on yours is in good shape, I would try to hold onto it, if it were me. In all likelihood, the dealer is just playing a game, to make you think that they're giving some kind of a deal on a "trade-in", when all they're really doing, is jacking the final price of the vehicle up by the majority of what they're "giving" you back for your trade-in. Better to just sell a vehicle outright, to a private party, for something close to what it's actually worth, then use that cash as part of the downpayment for the new car.
Backup's Backup: '93 Suzuki Sidekick 5 spd
Backup, to the Backup's Backup: '00 Silverado Auto
PTA2PTB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Give mom $3K for the Leaf, and enjoy both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm trading my Insight with 311K miles to the replace your ride program and getting a first gen Volt.

They are giving me $9500 for the Insight.

So depending on where you live and if you have time find a state funded program if one exists where you live.

Will be posting a part out thread soon if anyone needs parts too.
Insight_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

You'll probably regret trading in the Insight.

Your mom should absolutely swap the Leaf for a Clarity, the Clarity is an excellent vehicle.

She shouldn't trade in the leaf though, instead she should sell it on Craigslist or Ebay and use the cash towards the Clarity.

Tell us more about your Insight -- year, transmission, IMA condition, body condition, interior, etc.

Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

What is the "replace your ride program"?
That's some hi bucks for a hi mileage Insight.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
What is the "replace your ride program"?
That's some hi bucks for a hi mileage Insight.
Yeah, same, what? I mean I love my car, but $9500?
ADDvanced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWoodcock View Post
A few hundred bucks is pretty optimistic. You might be able to get it back relatively cheap if you can catch it before it goes to auction, but the last decent Insight we got from auction fetched a little over $1000 and it had 215k on it as well as the IMA light being on. It's definitely worth it for the dealer to send to auction because people are still paying for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight_Newb View Post
I'm trading my Insight with 311K miles to the replace your ride program and getting a first gen Volt.

Dear lord, how much are you about to pay for this first gen Volt? It sounds like they've got it priced about $8500 over market value and are able to discount it that much and still make a profit.

Last edited by deathsled; 05-09-2019 at 02:14 PM.
deathsled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight_Newb View Post

I find that hard to believe. If true, no wonder Cali is always in financial trouble.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in