New insight owner - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New insight owner

Hi everyone! Bought my G1 insight a few weeks ago, I've finally gotten all the safeties done and it's a pleasure to drive. Costco was out of RE92s so I have Pirelli P4 P175/65/R14s. Right now thinking of R13 VX rims for winter because that is the cheapest way to get aluminium rims for it.
What sort of things are best to look at for "fixing up" the insight? It drives well (although it's my first car so I don't have much to go on) but the AC compressor is very audible and the engine makes a bit more rattle than I would expect. I know I need to change the oil as soon as possible.
ben314 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
eq1

I think there's a couple 'new buyer' threads lurking about, maybe stickied, with suggestions on what to do, lists of mods, etc... If it were me I'd be doing all the maintenance items first, like oil, coolant, brake/clutch fluids, maybe belt, hoses - stuff like that. Then I'd tackle the common gremlins - like 'wet seatbelt leak', 12V system grounds, rear motor mount. Then I'd tackle appearance items, such as washing the seat covers, polishing the headlight lenses, buffing and waxing the exterior, '303 aerospace protectant' (or maybe it's 707, can't remember) on all the plastics...

I had Pirelli P4s on my Insight, when I first got it. You didn't just buy those new, did you? They're great tires, but they're way heavy and really suck on the Insight... I bought those new and then weeks later traded them for RE92s, Discount Tire was really good about that. I just told them that they really sucked and killed the fuel economy, which was all true. They pretty much traded them straight across for the RE92s...
Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

What's your experience with the RE92s in canada? My friend is concerned about using them when it gets at all cold. I do plan on having separate winters. Costco did not have the RE92s in stock but now they do, I could return the P4s.
I think I have a cracked engine mount since reverse gear is very shakey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

RE92s for the summer, and Nokian winter tires for the winter. All seasons are no good on a small car like this.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Which nokian winter tires are those? All the ones I can find on their website that are listed as winter tires are studded.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Please include your location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben314 View Post
Which nokian winter tires are those? All the ones I can find on their website that are listed as winter tires are studded.
Nokian Hakkapeliittas are supposedly the best. They don't come as the Insight's stock size anymore (165/65R14) but their 175/65R14s seem to be the best for FE. Nokian Nordmans are also good, although someone said they aren't rated low rolling resistance? Going based off what I was told here.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Nokian Hakkapeliittas are supposedly the best. They don't come as the Insight's stock size anymore (165/65R14) but their 175/65R14s seem to be the best for FE. Nokian Nordmans are also good, although someone said they aren't rated low rolling resistance? Going based off what I was told
I have the same problem. I have a set of steel 14 inch rims and the ability to purchase a set of aluminium VX rims for $50.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben314 View Post
What's your experience with the RE92s in canada? My friend is concerned about using them when it gets at all cold. I do plan on having separate winters. Costco did not have the RE92s in stock but now they do, I could return the P4s.
I think I have a cracked engine mount since reverse gear is very shakey.
I have a Canadian car but I'm not in Canada, haven't driven with RE92s in very cold temps, or snow. When I had P4s on two other cars I thought they worked great in the snow. But, if you're at all interested in getting separate winter tires I'd do that and trade the P4s back in for RE92s...

Reverse gear being shakey = definitely bad mount. Although, even with a new one it's not that great either.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm 100% for sure getting winters so I ordered the RE92s. I figjred I would always feel like I'm missing out if I didn't at least see what they're like.
For winters Dunlop Winter Maxx in R13 woulf be $330 cheaper than nokians, that's a lot of gas so I think I will go with those, at least until I can find a second set of OEM rims. Also considering Kumho Solus HA31s
Thanks! I'm going to look at repairing that soon, after the oil change and such.

Last edited by ben314; 05-11-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in