Today - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 1st-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Today

Purchased a water pump for my 2002 purchased1 one month ago for 3500 (which also needs a battery pack replacement) from RockAuto for 75.00. Found a mechanic here in Phoenix who told me he would install the pump for 150.00. Picked the car today, the bill was 1222.00. Guess I will be holding off on the battery pack.
1goolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow! Guy must have spent hours experimenting. There must be a better Insight mechanic somewhere in Phoenix. S Keith does battery work and maybe some light IMA work, but don't think he does mechanical work. He might know a GOOD local.

But, really this is the reason that most current owners do their own work. Few qualified mechanics for Insights around. You can buy the darn car paying folks to fix it
Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1goolfer View Post
Purchased a water pump for my 2002 purchased1 one month ago for 3500 (which also needs a battery pack replacement) from RockAuto for 75.00. Found a mechanic here in Phoenix who told me he would install the pump for 150.00. Picked the car today, the bill was 1222.00. Guess I will be holding off on the battery pack.
yea, I'd refuse to pay that. Insist that he follows shop rate, you're being screwed.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

That canít be the whole story. How about you elaborate.

I can see where the labor price to do the water pump is that price.

Then you get in there and you needed a belt, an idler bearing, coolant, thermostat, possibly a radiator, possibly it had a leak at the water housing on the end of the head.

If it was only a water pump for 1222.00, you could have driven here to CA and had me do the job, stayed in a hotel, ate out, bought gas both ways and it still would have been less.

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR3CYL View Post
That canít be the whole story. How about you elaborate.

I can see where the labor price to do the water pump is that price.

Then you get in there and you needed a belt, an idler bearing, coolant, thermostat, possibly a radiator, possibly it had a leak at the water housing on the end of the head.

If it was only a water pump for 1222.00, you could have driven here to CA and had me do the job, stayed in a hotel, ate out, bought gas both ways and it still would have been less.

Scott
I like the combo of a visit to SoCal and honest professional work. FWIW I had the radiator replaced in my car shortly after I bought it. The radiator, radiator cap, Honda complete coolant refill and thermostat cost me $634. IIRC there is no plastic in this radiator. I'm too lazy to run out and check.

I'm with Scott, I hope there is more to this story than what you have written.
boojum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

It sounds like pre-purchase inspection wasn't done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

2000 Insight,
tryingbe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1goolfer View Post
Purchased a water pump from RockAuto for 75.00. Found a mechanic here in Phoenix who told me he would install the pump for 150.00.
Most shops don't want their customers bringing their own parts. The can charge a markup when they source the parts. That's like buying a steak at the supermarket and bringing to a restaurant and asking them to cook it. If he said he would install it for 150, why didn't he? Maybe contact consumer affairs in your jurisdiction. Many places require a written estimate be provided that can't be exceeded by more than 10% or so.
atikovi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

One post from someone with just a handful of posts, who doesn't respond, with an unbelievable anecdote... Either he's a gullible idiot or a troller. There's not a shop anywhere that multiplies an original estimate by a factor of eight without calling the customer first for approval prior to doing the work. Something stinks here... I'm not buying this.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

im a little late to the party BUT i am also here in phoenix and would be glad to do future maintenance on OPs car, feel free to shoot me a message on here anytime.
bigjon1378 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

What the heck? The labor manual calls for 1.5 hours for the water pump. This doesn't make any sense.
Kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in